UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2016, 10:15 pm   #1
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Default Dynatron TP12 Linnet Lives!

I recently obtained a Dynatron TP12 Linnet from a forum member Bryan M that needed a little bit of TLC . These sets are the same as the TP11 and have both catches for the TP11 back door! I think some of the TP11 chassis were grabbed off the production line and shoehorned into a table-top cabinets . Firstly 3 of the original Ediswan transistors in my set had one or more legs that had rusted right at the base and were useless. TR5 was missing altogether ! The affected transistors were :
TR3 = XA101
TR4 = XB102
TR5 = XB103
TR6 & TR7 = XC131 .
I did some research and found some equivalents . The new transistors are :
TR3 = OC45
TR4 = OC71
TR5 = OC81D
TR6 & TR7 = AC128K

This line up works extremely well . I would have opted to replace like for like , however the original Ediswan transistors are like hens teeth and if available run at about £5 - £8 each used. I replaced all the resistors as most were way out of tolerance , surprisingly no re-biasing was needed . I replaced the electrolytics as some were completely gone and some were way out . The Hunts black caps...yeah , these too were out of tolerance and about half had split along the seams . I know I am not dealing with HT's in the 100's of volts range but for the price of new ones I decided to go the whole hog and just replace them . This really did make a difference in the tone and in reception and was , in my opinion ,a good choice . I also decided to add a nice feature of some dial lights , these being some 3v LED Warm White 3mm and were simply resistored down . These are pennies and one is placed at each end of the dial scale for a nice warm glow on an evening. I find it makes life easier in a dimly lit room and enables me to whizz up and down the band without having to turn the set into the light all the time . These LEDs are out of sight but the light they give off is just about the same as a normal filament bulb but only draw 8ma for the pair .
I cleaned up the knobs and repainted them as the paint was missing . The inner 2 knobs as most will realise are incorrect for the set but will do for now until I can source a good set of used ones.
I had to replace the grille cloth with some repro stuff as someone had been overly keen with the PVA glue and had ruined the original cloth. I don't think the replacement cloth looks to bad at all . I have not done anything with the wooden cabinet and it looks worse in the photos than in normal daylight. I am not going to restore the wooden cabinet as I rather like the original patina and dings . I think it is possible sometimes to over-restore a radio !
All in all it is a nice sounding set and has good tone . Reception is good and can pull in all the continental stations as one would expect.
I have compared my set alongside a friends un-restored set and they both sound exactly the same .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6044 - Copy.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	132938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6046 - Copy.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	132939   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6047 - Copy.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	132940   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6048 - Copy.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	132941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6050 - Copy.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	132942  

Old 17th Nov 2016, 10:54 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Dynatron TP12 Linnet Lives!

Nice radio and great job on the restoration. I've been on the lookout for one of these after restoring a TP11. It sounds better than most of the radios I have on MW.

Graham
Old 17th Nov 2016, 11:05 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very nice work indeed. The new grille cloth really looks the part, and I love the idea of a battery set that looks like a valve one, even down to the dial illumination.

I like the way the PCB has the semicircular cutout for the TP11's LS even though it's entirely redundant in this set. Is the Celestion LS original? My TP11 has what looks like an R&A elliptical unit.

I have a TP11, and touch wood, the transistors are still fine, but all the Hunts Mouldseals, and Plessey electrolytics needed changing for reliable operation.

BTW, how long did this twin ferrite aerial business continue for? I can't say that I've ever seen it in later sets.

N.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 17th Nov 2016 at 11:33 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2016, 12:07 am   #4
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Is the Celestion LS original? My TP11 has what looks like an R&A elliptical unit.
I do believe that the Celestion LS is original, every TP12 I have seen has them in.
Old 19th Nov 2016, 12:14 am   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Lovely job, well done!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 20th Nov 2016, 6:51 pm   #6
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Thanks Phil ,
Here is a photo of it lit at night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6045 - Copy.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	133046  
Old 20th Nov 2016, 8:02 pm   #7
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

You'd never know it wasn't built like that! Superb and very authentic-looking.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 24th Nov 2016, 1:41 pm   #8
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

I would like to thank forum member neil24-7 for his kind input on this project. He has very generously donated a pair of knobs that will finish this little set off beautifully .

Thanks also to all that have given feedback on this set.
Old 24th Nov 2016, 8:55 pm   #9
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Here it is finally completed with the correct knobs . It is just sat ontop of my ITT CVC5 TV for the evening and sounds good !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6497.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	133339  
Old 25th Nov 2016, 12:07 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

For period looks, only those modern black electrolytics look a bit out of place.

A bit of blue heatshrink might help.

Is it at all top heavy? The high level batteries look a bit instability inducing.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Nov 2016, 6:32 pm   #11
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Does not seem top heavy . Seems very stable and sounds fairly good for what it is.
Old 27th Nov 2016, 10:12 pm   #12
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
For period looks, only those modern black electrolytics look a bit out of place.
I should be able to sort you out with some period NOS Philips blue ones if you feel like changing them again.

John.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 5:17 pm   #13
vinrads
Dekatron

It's working leave well alone, they look fine to me , superb restoration looks fantastic. Mick.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:42 pm   #14

A well executed simple set, does what it says on the tin.
I want one!

Closed Thread