UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2016, 10:05 pm   #1
ToneArm
Pentode

Default Amstrad CPC464 cassette problem

Hi, i've been asked to look at this by a friend of my Dad's. The computer itself appears to work but the datacorder will not play. I replaced the long belt and FF and Rew now work fine, but still not play. The take up capstan is turning and pulls tape from the supply spool but the take up spool does not turn.

I found a small split rubber washer loose in the mechanism that possibly might have been a tyre off a drive wheel but if it was, i can't see where it came from. It's about 14mm OD and 10mm ID. Can anyone confirm what this is and where it might have come from please?

The short belt was completely perished but i think it probably only drove the counter. I put a new one in between counter and pulley next to the take up spool but, if the spool were to turn, the counter would run backwards. I guess that's not right! Any guidance on where this belt ran also much appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Glyn
Old 15th Nov 2016, 10:31 pm   #2
Laurdys
Pentode

Default Re: Amstrad cpc464 cassette problem

The cassette drive on the cpc464 will not run unless you enter the command load " (load space double-quote return) or run " (run space double-quote return) at the command prompt to tell it to load /run from a tape. even I've fallen for this before.
Old 16th Nov 2016, 7:12 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad CPC464 cassette problem

If the capstan is turning then the motor must be running, so it's not a problem with the computer not turning on the tape unit.

I don't have the service manual for this machine to hand (I do have it somewhere...) but on most such cassette units :

The counter is driven by a short belt (which has no other function, if it's missing the counter doesn't work but nothing more) from the supply spool drive. Look for a belt-like groove in this part.

There are 2 drives to the takeup spool. A fairly stiff one for fast forward and one via a slipping clutch for play. In play mode, the tape is moved by the capstan and pinch roller and the takeup spool runs as fast as it needs to (clutch slipping) to take up the tape.

Look for something that could be the cluch. It may be part of the takeup spool spindle, or a separate part that engages with it. Is there are way for that to be driven? (often the belt from motor to capstan flywheel goes round another pulley on the way). Does the output side of the clutch have a way to engage with the takeup spindle (there may be a misisng tyre here)?
Old 17th Nov 2016, 6:49 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

As per #2 post
Old 17th Nov 2016, 11:38 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Early Tanashin mech.
Remove the cassette unit chassis. Look on the upper side of it, there should be an idler with rubber tyre which drives the TU spool when play is pressed. Ensure the rubber tyre is there ans is not shiny - give it the once-over with fine sandpaper or possibly replace with a rubber o ring.

In the blurry pic attached, the said idler is a black disc partially obscured by a metal extension.
HTH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cass mech type a cu.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	132924  
Old 17th Nov 2016, 8:23 pm   #6
ToneArm
Pentode

It is exactly like the one in your picture Ben. The idler i mistook for a pulley and i attached it by belt to the counter! So the tyre is definately missing although the diameter is too big to match the rubber washer i found. Will pull it to bits again at the weekend and try an O-ring tyre.

It is a very awkward thing to work on as it needs connection to the mother board for power and needs keyboard prompt to run - not easy when dismantled! Also right next to the mains switch, not great when the lid is propped up with a reel of tape and youRe groping around blindly!

Many thanks for all the feedback folks.
Glyn
Old 17th Nov 2016, 10:26 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneArm View Post
It is a very awkward thing to work on as it needs connection to the mother board for power and needs keyboard prompt to run - not easy when dismantled!
Couldn't you disconnect the motor, and run it from a separate DC power supply, Glyn?
Old 17th Nov 2016, 11:50 pm   #8
ToneArm
Pentode

Yes, think I'll have to do that, I was just hoping for a simple fix.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 8:27 am   #9
TheBandit
Retired Dormant Member

I put my CPC 464 up for sale on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/ a couple of years back, along with a tonne of games, joysticks and a green monitor. It sold for all of £20! There are a quite a few of them out there. Just look for the ones that have been listed as an Auction rather than as Buy It Now deal. You could save yourself a lot of heartache by just buying a replacement rather than repairing the one you have got. Just a thought.
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 11:42 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

The problem with that approach is, as these machines have all aged, the other one will likely need new belts and iders too, or at least if it doesn't yet you can bet that it soon will do.

I don't really see the problem here, all it takes is a new rubber tyre and this should be solved.
Old 26th Nov 2016, 6:25 am   #11
TheBandit
Retired Dormant Member

Good point.
Old 27th Nov 2016, 4:32 pm   #12
ToneArm
Pentode

Hi all. I finally got back to the Amstrad today. The rubber washer I found was indeed the tyre off the idler wheel. I found a rubber gland thing that had end flanges of similar size so cut the end off to make a new one. Unfortunately my cutting wasn't too accurate and i ended up with uneven thickness.

Second go did the trick and got the machine working again. It's not perfect- the component i cannibalised has a tiny seam in the edge so the tyre face has an imperfection. This was enough to stop the wheel turning at first but after 20 mins left on fast forward it settled down, enough for me to load Roland on the Ropes 2! 10 mins to load and 2 mins before i'd had enough of playing it!

Thanks for the helpful advice.
Regards glyn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	133477  
Old 27th Nov 2016, 7:51 pm   #13
ben
Dekatron

Well done for sticking with it!
As well as the GT65 green, I have the colour monitor with my 464, it also had an Amstrad add-on tuner to make it into a TV! Somewhere I have another add-on tuner thing that I think had remote control capability, but that could be my mind playing tricks after all this time.
Closed Thread