UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2016, 6:28 pm   #1
mintras
Retired Dormant Member

Default Metal chassis repaint

Though I do love the patina of a rusty old pile and I hesitate to touch things for fear of making them worse, my cellar flooded recently and I have a couple of Murphy a188c where the depth of the flooding covered the amplifiers on the bottom.

So as these are fairly sparse (not loads of components) I thought I should attempt a complete strip down and rebuild.

I can see how I can drill out the sockets, but I was wandering how I could put them back the same, that is not use bolts but the type of rivet that was originally uses.

That way I can do a grand job of the painting.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 6:35 pm   #2
parlourtw73vs
Pentode

Default Re: Metal chassis repaint

Wouldn't some small pop rivets do the job? Malc.
Old 28th Sep 2016, 7:27 pm   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is an article about precisely this topic here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...mp-rivets.html

The upshot is that you can get them in the USA, but a special tool was used to roll over the end of the rivet using a small press.

But note that AVO recommended that if you were replacing any of the valve sockets on one of their valve testers to drill out the rivet and attach the new one with a screw and nut. I suspect that the rivets were used for cheapness - and you only needed to stock one part instead of several for each size of valve socket.
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 9:04 pm   #4
mintras
Retired Dormant Member

I can see from the link that these are, called semi tubular rivets, I will probably use a nut and bolt for the time being unless I can work out how to ale up cheaply.

I could use pop rivets and fill the hole somehow to get a similar look.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 5:46 am   #5
avocollector
Heptode

Thought for filling the pop rived holes - metal epoxy putty you can get at any car parts place. Goes hard like metal and can be painted etc.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 8:41 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've used tubular rivets frequently and found the best way is to use a steel ball twice the diameter of the rivet, hammer and spread it.
That gives enough spread to use a flat ended punch to finally close it.
Old 18th Oct 2016, 9:12 am   #7
ms660
Dekatron

If riveting is out of the question you can get the same visual effect chassis topside by grinding a screw head down to the rivet head profile, easily done in a drill chuck with a file then fine Emery.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread