UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2016, 3:00 pm   #1
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default OFCOM: Baldock Monitoring Station: equipment auction

As per this link:

http://www.ppauctions.com/eshots/20161103/

Best wishes
Guy
Old 17th Oct 2016, 3:09 pm   #2

Default Re: Ofcom: Baldock Monitoring Station: equipment auction

The huge rotatable log periodic isn't for sale as far as I can see. Just the bit of kit I would love to have along with the huge garden to house it!

Old 17th Oct 2016, 3:36 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: OFCOM: Baldock Monitoring Station: equipment auction

Thats gonna be an expensive auction!
Old 17th Oct 2016, 3:41 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Ofcom: Baldock Monitoring Station: equipment auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
The huge rotatable log periodic isn't for sale as far as I can see. Just the bit of kit I would love to have along with the huge garden to house it!
Put a bid in for the site as well?

David
Old 17th Oct 2016, 7:23 pm   #5
turretslug
Dekatron

"Re-organisation".... hmmm, does this impressive pile of expensive hardware represent the normal turnover of time-served equipment, or is it more ominously emblematic of a trend towards apathy and toothlessness as regards policing and enforcement of spectrum hygiene?
Old 17th Oct 2016, 7:31 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Operations there have been drastically scaled back due to budget cuts - I was lucky enough to get in there about 10 years ago (before the big dishes went) and salvaged a lot of Heliax, and some rotators.

The piles of kit on the racks will mostly be redundant cast off kit from the remote teams that used to spend a lot of time chasing pirates, and dealing with interference complaints - this work has been drastically scaled back in recent times.

There is of course a large pile of stuff that has been kept because it is easier to store it in a cupboard than get it removed from an asset register.....
Old 17th Oct 2016, 8:08 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Presumably most of this will be bought by dealers for a few thousand quid.
Old 17th Oct 2016, 9:08 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Most dealers are fairly canny and know what they can sell stuff for, and have an idea of the speed of turnover versus price.

Most government sell-offs have been in big lots, too big for an individual to contemplate. It's rather good to see it being publicised and done in small enough lots for there to be a chance. The ordinary taxpayer stands a chance of getting something out of it.

There has been a lot of good equipment put on the market over the last decade or so, and secondhand prices are quite a bit down on what they were.

If there are any real bargains in this lot, it will be things no one else wants and the dealers think would hang around too long.

David
Old 17th Oct 2016, 9:15 pm   #9
Sean Williams
Dekatron

When the MOD cleared a large quantity of 6960B power meters I purchased a number of them - £75 each complete with a number of measuring heads.

They must have released thousands of them, because all the usual test equipment dealers bought plenty of them, and there was little or no competition, hence there were bargains to be had.

This auction may well turn out to be the same, there is a lot of duplicated kit, that will not sell quickly - RF test gear isn't exactly everyone's cup of tea, could still work out an expensive day though, for those that really want specific things