UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2016, 6:57 am   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Pic attachment not working.

I've recently been having a problem when clicking on picture attachment's. The screen goes opaque as before minus the picture, the opaqueness doesn't vanish when clicking on a free area.

Am running Linux mint rosa with Chromium as browser. This could be down to a Chromium update i installed a day or so before, will try FF.

As no one else has posted owt, I assume it's just me

Andy.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 7:03 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Pic attachment not working.

I've not had any such problems - using FireFox.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 7:12 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks Dave for the heads up. On FF now, and it opens pics ok albeit in another tab, but that's the settings. Hells teeth, FF is like stirring old paint compared to Chromium, I made a cup of coffee in the time it took for the main forum page to load.

Therefore it's Chromium. Will have a play with the settings, though don't hold out much hope as they're pretty basic.

Andy.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 9:06 am   #4
Colin G8TMV
Tetrode

Andy,

I run both Firefox and Chromium on Debian (the testing release since I'm a developer) and photos attached to Forum posts open happily in both browsers.

Maybe I've got a newer version than you as a result of running 'testing' the about tab says:
Version 53.0.2785.113 built on Debian stretch/sid, running on Debian stretch/sid (64-bit)

Colin
Old 24th Sep 2016, 10:04 am   #5
paulsherwin

Although Chrome/Chromium is certainly faster than FF, you should remember that the first time you access the forum with FF there won't be anything in the browser cache, so everything will need to be downloaded. This forum normally caches well.

When popup images stop working it is usually down to JavaScript problems. You can work around it by right clicking on the thumbnail and choosing 'open in new tab'.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 12:43 pm   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks Paul, that work around is ok. I've looked at Chromium' settings and made a few changes but still have the problem. I don't want to un install the Chromium update as it had a ! next to it, but am sure it was after it installed the problem occure

Can't find anything about Java script in my PC, only Ghost Script. To be honest I havn't a clue what I'd do if I found it.

There also seems to be something odd happening when I click submit reply, a notice pops up saying "Wait 30 secs between posts etc" as if I'd already clicked the box or double clicked it.

Also clicking "edit" starts a timing wheel going for minutes. Clicking again almost straight away and the post appears no problem. I wonder if my mouse settings are off? Will check.

Not to worry maybe things may resolve themselves on the next update, as long as I can see attachments which I can thanks to Paul's suggestion.

Andy.

Last edited by Diabolical Artificer; 24th Sep 2016 at 12:58 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2016, 12:59 pm   #7
paulsherwin

JavaScript is built into the browser, and you don't have any control over it. There are add-ons to disable it completely, and this forum actually works pretty well with JS disabled, but most sites assume it's there and won't work without it.
Old 12th Oct 2016, 6:59 am   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

A quick follow up on this subject; after another recent Chromium update things are back to normal. I can open pic attachments and the "double click" issue has gone.

Andy.