UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2012, 11:39 am   #21
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: What is a Success Story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
There's no reason why conservation shouldn't be a "Success Story" in its own right.
I respectfully disagree Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
To quote the section heading

Quote:
If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here...
The section heading clearly refers to repair or restoration, neither of which are conservation.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 12th Mar 2012, 11:50 am   #22
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Aside from all that, conservation could only be considered a success if the radio, or whatever, still survives in a few centuries time and in the same condition as when its conservation was begun. It's quite possible that none of us will be around then to see if the conservation was a success.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 11:50 am   #23
SeanStevens
Octode

If you consider these radios as 'works of art' as some definately are - the following analogy might work.

If a painting by a 'Master' was found in an attic, torn and filthy, it would be resorted. Many man-hours work would be put in - cleaning the existing paint finish - invisibly repairing the canvas etc. Simply, it would be made fit to display.
Nobody would expect this not to happen - as we would want to see what the artist 'had' produced - not how it had become, neglected and damaged.

Back to radios - most people expect them to work and look like they used to. Agreed, some people might make some radios gleam a little too brightly - but the intention is still good!

SEAN
Old 12th Mar 2012, 5:19 pm   #24
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Indeed Sean: that painting has, in actual point of fact, been 'repaired' - but the Art World prefers to use the word 'conserved'. Perhaps that's because 'conserved' seems more appropriate to the Art World, 'repaired' having a distinct 'engineering' undertone.
So on that basis I submit that when we remove all of the functional defects from a radio (etc.), it has then been 'repaired'. Any further work that is restricted to non-functional 'repair' actions becomes a 'conservation'. However, we, predominately with an engineering approach to doing things, use the word 'repair' to embrace both categories.

Al.
Old 12th Mar 2012, 7:25 pm   #25
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I for one would be very interested in reading about the processes outlined in Post 18 - whatever section it was in.

- Joe
Old 12th Mar 2012, 9:31 pm   #26
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Whilst this discussion about the merits (or not) of conservation in its wider aspects is interesting, I think we should largely restrict ourselves to how it applies to posts #3 and #7 of this thread made by Chris that actually started us all off.

Chris was in fact talking more about keeping 'originality' to a set, he even emphasised the word in capitals, rather than conservation. Specifically, he was referring to a 1950s Chinese bakelite radio in his collection that he stated; "This radio is far better left exactly as it is - rust and all." I take that to mean, keep completely untouched in the condition he acquired it.

So in my opinion, the Success Stories section isn't the appropriate place to report on it since no work of any kind has been performed on the set, or indeed is there any intention of any work being carried out in the future. That description also fits every set acquired by any forum member before getting it on to the bench. Just obtaining a set and having it in your collection is not a success story (with reference to the forum section) in its self.

However, I see no reason why Chris shouldn't be able to report on his Chinese set, showing images and a description regarding it. I should think that most members would appreciate seeing such a little known set.

In the absence of a dedicated section for such sets (which I don't advocate the creation of), I believe the 'General Vintage Technolgy Discussion' section would seem the most appropriate place out of the existing forum sections.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 12th Mar 2012 at 9:38 pm.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 11:02 am   #27
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

To me, a success story in the context of "Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration" is the repair to working order and functionality - electrical and cosmetic - of a piece of vintage equipment that at first sight seemed to be a lost cause. I would also include equipment that hasn't suffered as much from the ravages of time but has been fixed by someone like myself who has limited experience.

How does one define originality? A radio or telephone for example didn't leave the factory with a coating of rust and the proud owner of a new radio may well have polished the cabinet until it gleamed. I don't think a 1950's repairman would have fixed a 1930's radio using resistors and capacitors from the 1930's.

If equipment has been part of an historical event and shows the effects of having been then it should be left as is but with something commonplace like a Bush DAC90A for instance, I don't see a problem in having it nice and shiny especially if it's going to live in the home and be used regularly.

Having said that, with my limited experience of vintage electrical equipment I would love to see photographs and write-ups of more unusual items whether restored or not.

It speaks volumes for the members and moderators of this forum that elsewhere this would have degenerated into a slanging match by now

Regards,
Lee.

Last edited by frglee21; 14th Mar 2012 at 11:04 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th Mar 2012, 12:29 pm   #28
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I find the comments on this thread very thought provoking. I must admit I have never had much affinity for collectors of any items that must be pristine unused and in the original boxes, though I can see some historical value, I suppose this would count as conservation.

There are two aspects of restoration that interest me. One is to restore an item to the appearance and function when it left the factory. Unfortunately I do not have the skill to do it myself but am mightily impressed when I see it. In this case re-stuffing capacitors etc. would not bother me very much. After all it is possible that some of the original materials are no longer available or may now be recognised as hazardous.

The other aspect is to restore an acquired set to the state when it was last used regularly. As others have said sets in use in the late 40s or the 50s would generally be repaired with contemporary parts to keep them working. Achieving either of these aims would seem to fit a success story. I would differ slightly from Lee because I would not mind if it did not look like a lost cause, though this would be more impressive and satisfying.

I am not too sure how I would rate keeping a set in it's as found state. I can accept that stabilising it so that there would be no further deterioration might be very satisfying to some and may be historically interesting.

A pile of rust is not really very informative. Having said that I watch "Time Team" and their reconstructions with amusement and wonder what they would reconstruct from a pile of rust, bits of bakelite and piles of copper wire (strands of verdigris) with a few 6BA nuts and bolts thrown in.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 12:54 pm   #29
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Ahhhh tis truly a case of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Let us be really honest. Does it really matter? I myself gain great enjoyment from reading of other peoples success stories. Even the thrill of the chase to obtain a treasured item. I applaud people who "get in and have a go". I read so often in magazines that there is a shortage of written articles to print. I say put it all in here and if a person does not like a particular item then do not read it. Move on.
I know for sure I enjoy them all.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:28 pm   #30
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQVO6/40 View Post
I say put it all in here and if a person does not like a particular item then do not read it.
Absolutely! I've no problems with that, but in order to be able to do that the thread has to be first correctly categorised so you know which posts are of interest to you and which to ignore.

For me, this 'conservation/originality' issue is not one of inclusion on the forum but where to include it. The reason the forum has sections is so that members can pick and choose what is relevant to them and read only the posts that they are interested in.

When I view the 'Success Stories' section I expect to see reports of repair and restoration, after all that is what the header states and Paul Stenning's post #1 of this thread unambiguously asks for. No matter how you look at it, conservation or maintaining originality by doing nothing to a set is not any form of repair/restoration, it is in fact the direct opposite.

If the forum starts to allow threads in sections where they clearly, by stated forum definition, should not be then the well ordered structure it has at present will quickly degrade into something where it is impossible to quickly locate what you are looking for.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 14th Mar 2012, 4:04 pm   #31
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Darwent View Post
When I view the 'Success Stories' section I expect to see reports of repair and restoration, after all that is what the header states and Paul Stenning's post #1 of this thread unambiguously asks for. No matter how you look at it, conservation or maintaining originality by doing nothing to a set is not any form of repair/restoration, it is in fact the direct opposite.
Agreed.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread