UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2017, 5:37 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Bill Smith (Chronicles)

Just wondering - are there any Bill Smith acolytes out there ?

Regards, David
Old 17th Jan 2017, 6:46 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Bill Smith (Chronicles)

Who's Bill Smith when he's at home, David ? A quick Google suggest's he sells motorbikes.

Andy.
Old 17th Jan 2017, 9:14 am   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

I found this about him:

http://www.valve.demon.co.uk/Books/BillChron.htm

but that's the first I'd heard of him.

John
Old 17th Jan 2017, 1:57 pm   #4
Beobloke
Heptode

Well, the only Bill Smith I knew was my grandfather. He was a radio operator in the Second World War so is possibly worth discussing on here but I never knew he was so famous!
Old 17th Jan 2017, 3:06 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Thanks folks for the sceptical responses. Perhaps your computer's links to Google are rather weak. (Bit like some folks' sense of humour). I can simply Google "The Bill Smith Chronicles" and receive heaps of info on Bill - who was a long-time contributor to the Radiophile Magazine. He has also published 3 volumes of his slimline books on vintage radios. Other Forum members have discussed him in posts in the past.
Sadly, Bill passed away several years ago, but prior to retirement worked for many years in Peterhead.(The largest fishing port in Europe). About 14 miles east from where I live. Just wish I had got to know him when I commenced my vintage pursuits. I gather that he was highly respected in the vintage radio fraternity UK wide.
What's this leading up to ? One might ask. Simply - I have some old items of his, and would part with them should I discover someone who has been a long-time admirer of Bill. An open thread post or PM would do. But, no more jokers, or mercenary wheeler-dealers, please.

Regards, David
Old 17th Jan 2017, 9:43 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi David, did he not also write some articles for Radio Bygones?

Ed
Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:48 am   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello Ed,
Bill might well have also written for Radio Bygones. I understand that he was a prolific article writer from the 70's onwards.
I myself didn't take up vintage radio & electronics till about 2007 as a retirement pursuit, and didn't learn about Bill's expertise until about 2011. Sadly, his former employees - WD Allen's Radio & TV & Electrical business of Peterhead closed down, and I was fortunate to be invited by the owner to clear out a heap of old stuff. And, Jesus, what a good old heap it was. It was during one of my visits that the owner told me proudly of Bill's long employment & vintage radio expertise. I was also fortunate to acquire Bill's old wooden toolbox, and a lovely old Murphy U128 plus his notes on it. Other radios in his collection have been dispersed by his widow & family some time ago.
However, I have limited space to display items in my collection, and the recently restored S.T.400 needs shelf space. Unfortunately, the nearest decent radio museum is on Orkney, an island about 200 miles away to the north !

Regards, David
Old 18th Jan 2017, 11:13 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Aberdeen to Burntisland is a good bit less than 200 miles and doesn't involve a swim. The museum of communications there has an excellent collection which includes the Cattanach bequest. It originated in the foyer of Edinburgh uni's Kings Buildings and out-grew it.

David
Old 18th Jan 2017, 12:50 pm   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

I was in contact with Bill a good few years back when he asked me to advertise his 'Chronicles' self-published book, which contained a series of articles originally published in The Radiophile. I found the book to be easy reading and entertaining. He had a gentle style of writing and despite the all too brief contact we had, I liked him personally. I understood that he'd left us some years back, sadly.

Tony
Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:02 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

The Museum of Communications sounds just the ticket, David. I'll look into it.
Right enough, Tony, Bill's old boss told me that he was a really personable guy.

Regards, David

Last edited by AC/HL; 18th Jan 2017 at 5:13 pm. Reason: Political aside edited
Old 18th Jan 2017, 5:11 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

It's about as secure as the best, I think. They have lottery support and a strong connection to the university of Edinburgh. Their patron is Heinz Wolff no-less!

Why not get in contact and stick your head in some Saturday? There's enough Sailor gear/Racal/Eddystone plus Ferranti radars to keep you captivated for a century or two. It used to fill a cinema!

If it helps, it's within easy walk of Burntisland railway station.
David