UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2021, 11:00 am   #1
JonMorecroft
Diode

Default Dansette Viva - no audio

Hi. Newbie to this group. I have some experience on fixing vintage stuff but been a while since last did one. I have been gifted a Dansette Viva record player. The component board inside is dated 17 Feb 1965.
It seems to work from a record deck perspective i.e. deck spins, arms work and speed can be changed.
The UL84 lights up and gets hot. The rectifer (UY85) doesn't seem to heat up and can't see it glow - although it does warm up a bit possibly because it is next to the UL84.
There is no audio at all i.e no clicks, hisses, white noise, scratching when touching the stylus - nothing. I have used another speaker and same.
I am wandering around the board with an AVO but only get so far and don't have a circuit diagram.
Any clues people?
Thanks
Old 29th Jun 2021, 11:27 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Viva - no audio

The UY85 may slightly glow, but it still might have failed. If so there will be no HT supply, hence no sound. With your AVO, there should be c.220V from the UY85's Cathode. Also check the largish surge resistor for continuity which connects to its Anode. If the amplifier eventually tests out OK and the fault lies with the cartridge, then you can buy a direct replacement TC8H (listed as "H TC8") for £35-00. Be avised though that even if "brand new", this cartridge will not be suitable for playing Stereo LPs - and most LPs are.
Old 29th Jun 2021, 11:56 am   #3
Cobaltblue

Hi Jon and welcome to the Forum

You can get the circuit here:
https://www.service-data.com/product...15/1483/a11115

The UY85 and UL84 are in series so if the UY85 isn't glowing then there are a couple of possibilities that spring to mind:

The UY85 has gone to air (the silver getter likely turned white)
The UY85 has developed an internal short in the filament (got one that did that)

Cheers

Mike T
Old 29th Jun 2021, 12:28 pm   #4
JonMorecroft
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Hi Jon and welcome to the Forum

You can get the circuit here:
https://www.service-data.com/product...15/1483/a11115

The UY85 and UL84 are in series so if the UY85 isn't glowing then there are a couple of possibilities that spring to mind:

The UY85 has gone to air (the silver getter likely turned white)
The UY85 has developed an internal short in the filament (got one that did that)

Cheers

Mike T
Hi as per my reply above - good news. I had a spare UY85, which I didn't know I had, and replaced it and Boom! got audio.
The speaker has a tear in it which i'll need to replace but it is pretty lo-fi anyway so could probably get away with it as it is.
Thanks for your help
Old 29th Jun 2021, 1:48 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Small tears in speaker cones respond well to tissue paper and diluted PVA (wood) glue patches.......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Jun 2021, 10:12 am   #6
DonaldStott
Octode

Just to endorse what Chris said above, a 50/50 mix of PVA/water and some tissue paper will fix any small tears but we don't know how extensive it is - picture please?

If you have any of the mix left over then apply this sparingly across the entire paper cone which will help to strengthen it.

I know that others have recommended UHU or Copydex but I've never had any issues with PVA/water.