UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2015, 4:07 pm   #1
unitelex
Hexode

Default GEC Kenilworth transceiver

Seasonal greetings!

I have a GEC Kenilworth RC665.
It seems to be tuned for 160MHz PBR, at least on the transmit side.
It had a Selcall pcba which I removed.
I am considering converting it for the 2m band, adding a PLL synth.

Does anyone have the schematic? or any experience with this set or its conversion?

Thanks
Chris
Old 26th Dec 2015, 8:54 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC Kenilworth transceiver

If it's the same as the kit shown here:

http://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/pages_2/gec_kenilworth.htm

then be aware that it's AM and that since the 1970s that's been pretty much obsolete on 2M because everyone switched to FM for local/mobile/repeater operation.

Don't spend time/money on a conversion to then find there's nobody using AM!
Old 26th Dec 2015, 8:59 pm   #3
unitelex
Hexode

Hi, yes it is the one in your picture.
If I add a frequency synth, then conversion to FM on the TX should be easy enough, also for the RX conversion I can add a discriminator demodulator. I did that already on a good old PYE Cambridge
Old 26th Dec 2015, 9:16 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I admire your dedication !!

In times past when I was playing with converting Pye Vanguards/Cambridges/Westminsters to 2M/4M amateur operation if we came across an AM set we usually gutted it for spares because there were plenty of FM ones around which were easier to get going. If we wanted AM/FM we got ourselves a Pye Whitehall.

Same went for the Dymar "Lynx 2000" series of radios: the AM versions *could* be FMed if you were truly persistent but all the versions were dirt-cheap and it was easier to find a FM version than struggle with making an AM one work on FM [swapping the IF-filters to get the right bandwidth for the mode-in-use was a pain].
Old 26th Dec 2015, 9:23 pm   #5

I suppose you could use one of the very cheap 2m Chinese handhelds as a PLL modulator and RX. I got a dual band (2m 70cm) one for less than thirty quid, works well.

Old 27th Dec 2015, 5:39 pm   #6
unitelex
Hexode

Hmm... forgot about the IF filter bandwidth. The conversion did work on the AM10D Cambridge but I seem to remember the FM modulation was a little low, possibly due to the filter
Old 28th Dec 2015, 9:07 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

IF issues were classically the big nuisance in PMR conversions: the early [up-to-mid-1960s] radios used 50KHz-wide receiver filters (because the transmitters were a bit drifty) - then they switched to 25KHz and subsequently to 12.5KHz.

If you were lucky and lived somewhere remote you could get away with wide filters - until someone local decided to hold a QSO on S21 when you were monitoring S20 and your squelch kept lifting on their occasional overmodulation.
Old 29th Dec 2015, 2:19 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Kenilworth high band circuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kenilworth_1.pdf (1.04 MB, 102 views)
File Type: pdf Kenilworth_2.pdf (1.13 MB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf Kenilworth_3.pdf (723.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 31st Dec 2015, 2:55 pm   #9
unitelex
Hexode

Hi G6Tanuki, Bill,
Thanks for your information and especially the schematic !

Following your good advice I have switched my attention to a Pye Westminster which I also have. It is 68-88MHz FM with 20 KHz filter. I have already re-tuned the RX input up to to 70.25MHz from 69.6MHz which of course was relatively easy. Now need to work on the TX which is currently tuned to 84.7MHz, and build or buy a pll frequency synth.
Is it better to have the synth VCO running at carrier frequency (tx) and carrier-10.7MHz for (rx) or can I use a lower frequency VCO and employ the xtal multipliers in the Westminster?
Closed Thread