UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2017, 11:08 pm   #1
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Default Nordmende transistor deluxe

I have a lovely Nordmende transistor deluxe for restoration, i have 2 dilemas which hopefully someone can come up with a good idea for 2 things.

First one is the Nordmende sign along the bottom was originally in red paint which has long perished, any ideas of the best way to re paint up these letters without making it look like a child has painted it, i have thought about something like wood glue to surround the letters then paint the tops of the words then peel off the surrounding wood glue? Just a idea

Second one is the buttons on the top also had black lettering inset into the plastic which again has long faded. I have heard of black crayon but dont think that would be too permanent.

Anyone with any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks you.
Old 5th May 2017, 11:37 pm   #2
Nukeybrown
Heptode

Default Re: Nordmende transistor deluxe

By the way its one of them suprise sets that sounds way better than its size or price , very suprised. Possibly down to its quite large speaker for such a small set.
Old 6th May 2017, 11:50 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Is that a Transita de Luxe?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/nordmen...k_de_luxe.html

Everyone, or everyone's spellchecker, wants to correct the name, even Radio! Radio! has "Transista" over and over again...

I had one of these, and still have a Transita E03 which is an earlier rather than more basic version of the model, with round rather than slide-rule tuning scale: good little sets indeed.

I think the lettering on the buttons was originally infilled rather than just applied to a flat surface, and if there's still a good impression of the letters there a very nice job can be done by way of painting them in roughly, black or gold as appropriate, then wiping off the excess with a smooth cloth slightly damped with the right thinner for the paint - which needs to be something that won't attack the surface of the plastic.

I've done that before with satisfying results, but often what's happened instead is that the surface of the buttons has worn more or less smooth. Sometimes that's just some of the buttons, which have seen most use, as with Roberts R500s where it's common to see a blank MW button and a still clearly infilled SW one. Must admit I've left more or less well alone in this case. Letraset (is it still around?) or stencils might be a way to go, but hard to get to look right and even then you'd have something that would wear away much faster than the original lettering.

The Nordmende lettering near the base - for that I'm thinking of something like a thin wipe of red paint across a stiff piece of card, a little larger than the lettering, then laying the card briefly across the tops of the letters, repeating as necessary once dry until the letters are solidly red without any paint having made its way between them.

Paul
Old 7th May 2017, 12:31 am   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

Hi Nukey,

I have a Transita 'Spezial' [basically the same receiver] which I've just restored. Basically I agree with Paul .... particularly about in-filling the legend engraved on the push-buttons with appropriate paint - I tend to use slow drying enamel, and then when tacky, quickly wipe off the excess with a white spirit dampened cloth.

Note that the engraving is very fine on these Transita's [unlike that found on Bush TR82's etc.] - and as Paul notes ... this can wear thin with use. Further, you will need to be very patient when doing the treble clef on the tone control button .....

However, on the subject of the raised 'Nordmende' lettering ..... I just carefully picked mine out with a very fine artist's paint brush - and it's fine. (Note: all these sets use red paint in this location .... but I preferred gold! If any 'originality slave' wishes to change this in the future - then it's easy enough to over-paint.)

In my experience all Nordmende receivers are good performers ..... I also have a Transita Deluxe 'Automatic' which has greatly impressed me. One point tho' ..... both these receivers arrived with the AM [air vane] tuning caps frozen solid ... and dial drive cords accordingly broken. This malady can of course strip the gears associated with the semi-permeable FM tuner quadrants etc. etc. The tuning caps are high quality [as per the remainder of the sets] - but incorporate one particular plain bearing which seizes on the shaft. My advice is to lubricate this liberally and regularly in order to avoid future problems. (Replacing the dial drive cords on these sets isn't fun at all!!)