UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2017, 4:18 am   #61
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Bush TV22 Mk 1

If the speaker cone is flapping around due to the centralising support being detached, that's an easy glue job, pop the dust cover off the cone center, 3 or 4 strips of paper down the gap to centralise the cone and dabs of glue to the support, I use UHU, it sticks well and quickly.
I've got quite good at fixing speakers, had lots of practice!
I have even replaced a cone in one, using the original coil.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 9:13 am   #62
Dickie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
No point in rotating a round CRT, it's the scan coils that are out of kilter, but they look OK in post 54.
It can be easier to rotate the whole CRT than going through the mental and physical stress of trying to "unsticK" scan coils that refuse to move!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 6th Feb 2017, 12:25 pm   #63
Voxophone
Hexode

If it's the scan coils that need adjusting, I think I'll leave them alone for now in case of damage.

Regarding the tuning control: does anyone know if the core can be removed completely by screwing it out? It feels like it would screw out if I kept turning, but I want to be sure this won't disturb anything inside. A replacement knob will be easier to fix to the shaft when it's out of the set.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 4:57 pm   #64
Freya
Octode

The knob is fitted last, the tuning core and what shaft you have left could be screwed in all the way, hence releasing the shaft and core together.
I have tried to disassemble mine but without taking the knob off its impossible to remove. Its not obvious how the knob is attached to the shaft given the spring is under a fair bit of tension, its not a simple press fit.
You could remove the shaft and carefully cut a screwdriver slot to allow this method of tuning.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 4:59 pm   #65
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
It can be easier to rotate the whole CRT
Yes, didn't think of that! Whichever is easier.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 5:20 pm   #66
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
The knob is fitted last, the tuning core and what shaft you have left could be screwed in all the way, hence releasing the shaft and core together.
I'm not sure I understand this. Do you mean I should screw the core inwards to remove it rather than out? I'm concerned about letting it go too far in in case I can't get a grip to turn it! When withdrawing the shaft outwards I've noticed it starts to feel slack at the extremity and the brass thread can be seen.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 5:32 pm   #67
brianc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
It can be easier to rotate the whole CRT than going through the mental and physical stress of trying to "unsticK" scan coils that refuse to move!
The coils can be "unstuck" by heating them. Just pass about 1amp DC through them for an hour or so and they should be easy to rotate with no stress on the CRT. The problem with rotating the CRT is that if the set has been used a lot in the past, then the phosphor could have a rectangular "burn" which will show up when the tube is rotated - this happened to me.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 6:26 pm   #68
Freya
Octode

Yes I do mean screw inwards, the core is very visible from the component side so should be easy to remove the shaft, going outwards the core will bottom out so to speak.

If your concerned about removal then I would advise just cutting a slot with the shaft in situ.
Old 7th Feb 2017, 11:20 am   #69
Dickie
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc View Post
The coils can be "unstuck" by heating them. Just pass about 1amp DC through them for an hour or so and they should be easy to rotate with no stress on the CRT.
Thanks Brian, that's a useful tip.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 7th Feb 2017, 11:43 am   #70
Voxophone
Hexode

I'm hoping it won't come to that but good to know if it does!

Last night I had another go and I've decided to leave the picture adjustments until I get the brightness pot replaced. The controls are far more interdependent than I expected, never having used a set of this age before. Both the contrast and the focus lever have a significant effect on picture rotation. I’m wondering if the lack of brightness control is what’s preventing me aligning the image.

The horizontal hold is also a bit of an enigma to me. It doesn’t seem to do much until it is turned fully anticlockwise, at which point the picture breaks up. Is this normal?
Old 7th Feb 2017, 6:51 pm   #71
Freya
Octode

For the line hold at one end I suggest you check the 68k resistor connected to the line hold, R28 on the Trader.
I would wait for the brightness control before doing much to the picture alignment. Use the test card for setup and aim to get the brightness and contrast correct first, then focus.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:43 pm   #72
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
For the line hold at one end I suggest you check the 68k resistor connected to the line hold, R28 on the Trader.
R28 measures 80k so it is within a 20% tolerance which is why I didn't replace it. Could the extra 12k be causing the problem? I'm assuming there is one as I would have thought the horizontal hold works similarly to the vertical.

Cheers

Liam
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:49 pm   #73
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Sounds like you have a good sync lock on the horizontal. Tack a 330k resistor across R28 to see if it puts the lock back in mid travel.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 2:49 pm   #74
Freya
Octode

In post #54 picture 3, has the vertical line gone now or is that still present ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	137320  

Last edited by Freya; 9th Feb 2017 at 2:51 pm. Reason: found picture
Old 9th Feb 2017, 3:02 pm   #75
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
In post #54 picture 3, has the vertical line gone now or is that still present ?
It's gone. As far as I can tell it seems to have come from the Xbox rather than the TV. I haven't had this problem with any other video source.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 3:05 pm   #76
Freya
Octode

That's interesting because i have the same line in the same position on an Ekco set (TS105), it moves left and right with the line hold control using any video source on the Aurora or Dinosaur converters. Yours is the first set I have seen it on other than mine.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 3:24 pm   #77
Voxophone
Hexode

I'm fairly sure it only happened using the Xbox. The other sources I tried were the aurora test card and a DVD player, both of which seemed to display without the line. The test card image in post #54 was taken with pretty much the same settings on the TV and the line doesn't appear to be there. I don't think I tried the line hold at that stage so I'm not sure if it moved as you describe.

I haven't tried the Xbox again since correcting the sound-on-vision interference.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 4:37 pm   #78
Freya
Octode

This was a picture I took a while back with the Ekco showing the same vertical line, I wont hijack your post any more though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ekco.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	137322  
Old 9th Feb 2017, 6:52 pm   #79
McMurdo
Dekatron

I sometimes get the line on my TV12 depending on the way I've got the contrast set.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 10:46 am   #80
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
This was a picture I took a while back with the Ekco showing the same vertical line, I wont hijack your post any more though.
No problem. I found a couple of things relating to a vertical line or shading in the TV22 picture adjustment instructions yesterday. I would have sent a PM but can’t seem to attach an image properly that way. Not sure if this could apply to your Ekco at all?

Cheers

Liam
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV22 vertical line 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	137354   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22 vertical line 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	137355