UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2017, 5:34 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: DIY component storage boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionburn View Post
I remember these computer punched cards. I noticed one lying around recently in my mother's house. This would have been one of mine from the 1970's. I wonder how may people would know what it is now?
On the mailing lists and fora I am on, I suspect almost all people would know what it was and most would be able to read it. But that's hardly an unbiased sample.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 5:47 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionburn View Post
I remember these computer punched cards. I noticed one lying around recently in my mother's house. This would have been one of mine from the 1970's. I wonder how may people would know what it is now?
When clearing-out my late mother's house I rediscovered a stack of 80-col punched-cards overprinted "AERE Winfrith Laboratory". I'd given these to my parents some time in the early-1980s for use as shopping-list cards.

In times past I built lashup circuits on 80col punched-cards: it wasn't too hard to work out which holes were punched-out for each of the letters/digits, and then punch a card with the holes in the right place to take component-leads, to be hooked together underneath with 25gauge tinned-copper wire. You could even draw the circuit on the card to help you!

Also, the 'chads' punched-out of the cards occasionally got repurposed as confetti when computer-types got married. [hint: when thrown it gets *everywhere*]
Old 25th Jun 2017, 6:14 pm   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Also, the 'chads' punched-out of the cards occasionally got repurposed as confetti when computer-types got married. [hint: when thrown it gets *everywhere*]
Don't! The chads have sharp corners and if a piece gets in somebody's eye it can be very hard to get out again without causing problems. The round chad from paper tape is also difficult to get out of eyes.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 8:17 pm   #24
Reelman
Octode

I can certainly confirm that the chads from paper tape were used as confetti from my Dad's days at Olivetti in the 60s and 70s. Not only does it get everywhere it is exceedingly difficult to remove from carpets!

Peter
Old 25th Jun 2017, 8:22 pm   #25
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
A word of warning (learnt the hard way). Many food containers are designed to degrade quite quickly (after all they are not intended to be re-used). They turn very brittle and into flakes of plastic. So you find your carefully-sorted components go everywhere when you pick up the container, and are mixed with crumbling plastic.
It's normally UV radiation that causes them to degrade in this way. There shouldn't be a problem if you store them in a cupboard, but there may well be if you store them on open shelves, particularly if they are in direct sunlight for part of the day.
Counterexample : This afternoon I sorted out some of the biscuit tins I used to store components in over 30 years ago. One of them contained nuts and bolts in little plastic cream pots with lids (meaning said pots had been sold containing a dairy product if there's any doubt). As I picked them out they broke up in my fingers. And they had spent much of their life in an opaque tin.
Fair enough. There are no hard and fast rules about this, and plastics degrade for a number of reasons depending on the chemistry involved.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:05 am   #26
Junk Box Nick
Octode

When I first became interested in radio it seemed compulsory for amateurs to smoke a pipe. At the local amateur radio club it was hard to see through the fug that resulted from the smouldering bowls of Golden Virginia and St Bruno. I still have components stored in the array of tobacco tins that I was given by a kindly amateur when I was a schoolboy.

I wasn't a smoker but we must have been a family prone to sore throats because I have a similar array of Strepsils tins which were ideal for smaller items.

I'm also a user of ice cream tubs though these mostly contain DIY stuff for use around the house. They date back some years and show little or no deterioration so are probably from before the biodegradable period. The problem with degradable plastics is that the resultant tiny particles are eaten by animals and fish injuring them and now in the food chain. Perhaps non-bio and re-use is more environmentally friendly?
Old 26th Jun 2017, 11:19 am   #27
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Don't ignore the fact that not all plastics are compatible. I have had problems with foam in particular, and I suspect it was caused (or exacerbated) by being in proximity to other plastic materials. The foam deteriorated into a sticky goo which was very difficult to clean off the fragile items it was supposed to be protecting.
Andy
Old 27th Jun 2017, 11:01 am   #28
avocollector
Heptode

As a smoker, I found the empty cardboard flip top boxes of 20's were ideal for resistors. I store mine face down stacked vertically with the value on the lid. Stopped smoking back in 1993 but seem to have plenty of boxes left.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 12:41 pm   #29
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

H'mm, not exactly boxes, but I find a ring binder useful for storing and indexing the modern small 1/2W and 1/4W types that come in kits containing sections of bandolier-mounted resistors.

You can buy from Eblag (for not too much money) the plastic sleeves that collectors use for holding stamps, cigarette cards, postcards etc - these are designed to fit in ring binders and the A4 9-pouch plastic sheets are the ideal size for the 10-packs of resistors.

The photo will explain more clearly...

Cheers,

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	145207  

Last edited by frankmcvey; 27th Jun 2017 at 12:54 pm.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 12:47 pm   #30
Herald1360
Dekatron

There are also rather more rigid multicompartment A4 filing containers- often used for off the shelf development kits of small components. These have a snap on lid which exposes all compartments at once, so there can be errrm "issues" if you're clumsy!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Jun 2017, 12:57 pm   #31
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Yup, you can have issues with the ring-binders as well if you turn them upside-down, hence the little pieces of green insulating tape over the tops of some of the more well-filled pouches!
Old 27th Jun 2017, 4:45 pm   #32
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Don't ignore the fact that not all plastics are compatible.
Yes! In work I've come across those sets of transparent plastic drawers in a steel case, where in particular 'o' rings have started to dissolve their way out!
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:42 pm   #33
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

That tends to be caused by PVC and similar with phalate plasticisers being stored in polystyrene compartment boxes. The plasticiser migrates into the box which softens and engulfs it slooooowly! Even RS sell (or at least sold) PVC grommets packed this way, which I transferred into an equivalent box made of polyethylene. My O-ring kits, Viton and EPDM, are all in polypropylene packaging so no problem there. It is the same mechanism that gradualy embrittles electrical installation cables when in contact with expanded polystyrene thermal insulation, although that tends to be accelerated by the heating of the cables.

Side note- always slip a polythene bag over any PVC flexes on appliances stored in their original expanded polystyrene packaging. The appliance case might be OK in contact with the foam but the flex will gradually become part of it.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:42 pm   #34
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Side note- always slip a polythene bag over any PVC flexes on appliances stored in their original expanded polystyrene packaging. The appliance case might be OK in contact with the foam but the flex will gradually become part of it.
And be careful of storing PVC flex against a plastic cabinet. The cabinet can end up with quite deep grooves in it where it was attacked by the PVC (simplification, but you know what I mean). Maybe I am over-cautious but I don't keep the mains lead of my Dansette-type record players bundled inside as the makers intended, I am worried it might attack the plastic turntable, pickup arm, etc if it get in contact with it for any length of time.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 8:03 pm   #35
emeritus
Dekatron

The cable of the transparency scanner unit of my Epson scanner, packed in an expanded polystyrene box, was shipped sleeved in a plastic bubble-wrap bag. I continue to use it, having seen the effect of polystyrene on unprotected cables with my original ZX81.
Old 27th Jun 2017, 10:18 pm   #36
McMurdo
Dekatron

I was so pleased with the plastic tupperware-style tubs from the local chinese takeaway that i sometimes buy them from Wilkinson etc. These are of variable quality, with the blue-tinted ones becoming brittle very quickly, but most of them are fine.

Re - polystyrene container problems. I pulled my old computers out of the wardrobe the other day; my Commodore 64 and my Spectrum. Both in their original polystyrene packing and both have melted over the mains leads making a nasty mess.