UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2017, 11:25 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Vintage TV (oz scrappage forum)

Some of this may not be for the faint hearted!

Stumbled across this forum whilst looking up a model number of a TV set I'd just fixed. Seems like amongst the largely worthless 1990s-era black plastic CRT sets the occasional 'woody' pops up , like this rank Arena.

Please, could one of our members down under get in touch and offer to save the old or collectable sets! Who knows what else these guys might come across, could be a useful source of vintage equipment.

So far I've just looked at the TV section, there's other electronics on there and some interesting recovery of raw materials therefrom. But I hope more vintage stuff could be saved!
Old 30th May 2017, 1:49 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage TV (oz scrappage forum)

Done a bit more browsing ;-)
This is what I'm talking about - someone needs to make contact with these people!
Old 30th May 2017, 8:24 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Hi Ben,
I'm finding there isn't that much interest in TVs, especially later ones even if they're interesting. I've had absolutely no interest in my Panasonic quintrix-acuity set on here, so it's probably going to wind up in the telly pile at the dump-um-recycling-centre. Tellies don't interest me and it all comes down to space. It just feels like a bad thing to do.

David
Old 30th May 2017, 12:44 pm   #4
ianj
Heptode

A few charity shops will accept a crt tv set. 2 local to me do; they sell them on for £20 complete with a freeview box & scart lead ( from poundland)
Old 30th May 2017, 9:37 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I still occasionally sell TVs second hand, usually last-generation CRT sets of 21" or so, with a freeview box. There's a boom in the rental property market at the moment in Madrid, both for short-term tourist and longer -term lets, and I imagine quite a few landlords want to put in a TV nobody would want to steal! For me that's the most important thing- keeping useable sets out of landfill if possible by finding them a new home.

Anyway back to the topic of the oz forum. The recycling guys in the forum above are basically out for copper and metals, which in the average set don't amount to more than a few pounds' worth of material if that. So if there's some financial incentive to put vintage kit to one side, they would doubtless do it - it wouldn't take much of a financial incentive to interest 'em, bearing in mind what they'd likely get in scrap value!

In another post someone said they prefer to sell VCRs as they are, as they're worth so little in scrap value. I suppose they're a lot easier to ship too. So at least collectors might be able to pick up some interesting video kit by making contact with the recyclers.
Closed Thread