UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2017, 10:23 pm   #1
shadoman
Tetrode

Default Possible faulty AF127?

Hi
I am in the process of repairing a Roberts RT8 which was not working when i bought it.I replaced both transistors in the I F unit with AF 127s after which the radio worked. But the radio packed up again.After checking the circuit again i removed both transistors and checked them on the diode function on my dmm the base to emitter on one of them is .149 and base to collector is .247 which indicates to me it is faulty.The other one reads b to e .306 and b to c .248. I would like someone to confirm my findings before replacing it.
Thanks Terry
Old 10th Jan 2017, 8:18 pm   #2
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Default Re: Possible faulty AF127?

Hi Terry

Firstly it's nice to see I'm not alone up here in North Devon!

I recently had a batch of 10 AF127's in so thought I would test some and let you know the results

No. B-E. B-C. HFE (measured on peak component tester)
1. 0.31. 0.24. 193
2. 0.30. 0.26. 378
3. 0.29. 0.22. 208
4. 0.31. 0.22. 462
5. 0.30. 0.22. 97

Hope that helps. Interesting that the diode readings remained pretty much the same despite the different hfe.

Regards

Graham
Old 10th Jan 2017, 8:24 pm   #3
Station X

The figures mentioned in post #1 are forward volt drop?

What are the reverse resistances like?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 8:51 pm   #4
shadoman
Tetrode

Thank you both Graham's
The reverse resistance's are b to c 103.5 and b to e 0.02
I Will try another transistor in that position i need to order some anyway its also nice to hear from another forum member in North Devon.There seems to be a few of us down here now. Thanks again Terry.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 8:54 pm   #5
paulsherwin

That transistor does indeed appear to be faulty.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:30 am   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

Agreed it is a very leaky transistor. I once had an unusual problem with an AF127 or AF124, it was suffering from a short from collector to the body (screen lead) of the transistor just like the inherent tin whisker problems of the AF11x series. I have it stored away somewhere so if I come across it will try to remove the short. Maybe the tin whisker problem will show itself in the AF12x versions, hopefully not but something to bear in mind.

Regards
Symon.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 5:11 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

No reason why they should not suffer the same whisker problem, same construction.
Try de-canning it in situ with a soldering iron.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 10:40 am   #8
jjl
Octode

The encapsulation "can" construction is not the same for the AF11x and AF12x series. AF11x are contained in a tin plated rather thick steel can whereas AF12x are in what appears to be a plain mild steel thinner can, so AF12x should not suffer from the tin whisker problem.
There are of course other failure mechanisms that could affect either series equally given that the semiconductor within the can is the same.

John
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 6:53 pm   #9
shadoman
Tetrode

Hi again
I have just finished the RT8 and it sounds really good apart from replacing the af 127s i had to replace C25 and R25 in the amp this brought full volume back i also replaced all the caps in the i.f. module. I just waiting for a replacement for C20 the tone control cap and also a jar of red shoe cream to polish the case up with.I really like these handbag RT8s and RT7s they seem to be the rarest Roberts models now. I have now started another RT8 which ive had for a while, its also got a faulty I.F module and one of the output transistors is getting quite warm.
Thanks Terry.
Closed Thread