UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jan 2017, 10:43 pm   #1
Electric
Diode

Default Hello from Coventry, West Midlands

Hello Everybody,

My name is James, from Coventry (Warwickshire / West Midlands).
I have joined this forum as a friend has been telling me how wonderful it is, certainly no disagreeing there. It's great. There are so many helpful threads.

Started off as an electrical engineering apprentice working on machine tools, but ended up with a lovely desk job solving different engineering problems.

Hands down, I'll admit that I don't get near radios or televisions that often. Instead collecting 'proper' telephones and exchange equipment, as well as industrial electrics and domestic appliances.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but looking forward to chatting soon.

All the best, James.
Old 11th Jan 2017, 9:59 am   #2
llama
Heptode

Default Re: Hello from Coventry, West Midlands

Hi James and welcome.
I enjoyed living in Coventry from the mid-'50s to the mid-'60s. Many, many trips to R.E.P. (Much Park St??) for new parts and Ex-WD gear. Good times!
Graham
Old 11th Jan 2017, 9:46 pm   #3
Nymrod121
Heptode

Welcome to the forum, James

Paul Evans (also a member of this forum - <internalfire>) is the curator over at the Museum of Internal Fire in West Wales. It includes a 'Telecomms Exhibits' area, where there is a fully-working Strowger exchange that may well be of interest to you:

http://www.internalfire.com/newweb/telephone/t1.jpg

Best wishes
Guy
Old 11th Jan 2017, 11:12 pm   #4
Electric
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Hi James and welcome.
I enjoyed living in Coventry from the mid-'50s to the mid-'60s. Many, many trips to R.E.P. (Much Park St??) for new parts and Ex-WD gear.
Hi Graham. I know Much Park Street, but not sure about the REP? You have got me wondering.
Visiting a military surplus store is on my to-do list, should be interesting.
Thanks, James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymrod121 View Post
Welcome to the forum, James
Paul Evans (also a member of this forum - <internalfire>) is the curator over at the Museum of Internal Fire in West Wales. It includes a 'Telecomms Exhibits' area, where there is a fully-working Strowger exchange that may well be of interest to you
Hi Guy. That does look like a good idea, thanks.
Planning a holiday in Wales for later this year, as I have a soft spot for the 'Great little trains of Wales'.
Cheers, James.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 11:29 pm   #5
ntscuser
Pentode

Hello James and welcome to the forum.

Radio and Experimental products (REP) was very close to the Whitefriars Gatehouse and demolished circa 1969. I used to spend Sunday mornings staring in its window when I should have been at church. This is not me though:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REP.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	135835  
Old 13th Jan 2017, 10:00 am   #6
llama
Heptode

Ah yes - that right hand window I seem to remember was where the ex-WD gear was displayed. For some odd reason I remember an IFF unit, not that I bought it. My best source of ex-WD gear was Billy Smith's in Blackpool, but that's another story (and another housing estate...)

Regarding going to visit a current ex-Govt supplier, the only one I'm aware of is Anchor Supplies in Nottingham. Maybe others can chip in in the Where to get stuff section of the Forums.
Graham
Old 13th Jan 2017, 10:34 am   #7
yampy187
Hexode

Hello James! Welcome to the forum! I'm from Coventry too. Up in earlsdon ☺

All the best.

Jan
Old 13th Jan 2017, 1:06 pm   #8
audiomagpie
Heptode

Hi James

Welcome to the forum!

REP must have been before my time but during the 70's, Saturdays weren't complete until I'd spent my pocket money on components in 'Electronic Services' tucked away at the end of City Arcade. Run by two guys who must have been past their retirement age then (were they brothers?) It closed down in the mid 80's, when I remember their trusty Avo valve tester being advertised for 20 in the window! There was another good shop in High St., can't remember what that was called, again long gone....

You could get anything and everything in Cov in those days!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 13th Jan 2017, 3:25 pm   #9
ntscuser
Pentode

The Barton Brothers.

Electronic Services was originally in Gosford Street, next to the Mermaid Inn. (The sign painting business was in a courtyard behind the shop). They moved to the City Arcade in 1967 and the old building demolished to create a car park under the Ring Road flyover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mermaid Inn.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	135867  
Old 15th Jan 2017, 9:54 pm   #10
Aub
Heptode

REP did have a small shop in the early 1970's. It was located almost opposite Lloyds Bank ( High St ? ) I think it closed down about 1976, when it became a Christian bookshop. I remember Electronic Services in the Lower Precinct and also RSC in Shelton Square. I think that was there until the mid eighties. Shame they've all gone now.

Cheers

Aub ( ex GEC Telecoms apprentice 1971-75 )
Old 15th Jan 2017, 10:52 pm   #11
ntscuser
Pentode

I remember the shop but wasn't sure whether it was REP or not. Yes it was High Street. I bought a 10-element UHF Parabeam from there along with a length of coax and the owner asked me whether I was going to hang myself with it!

Another component supplier was Poole's warehouse on the corner of Cox Street and Grove Street but that was trade only. I sometimes went there with my friend Charlie Bednell whose mother had a TV shop in Far Gosford Street.