UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2009, 11:52 am   #1
TempusFugit
Triode

Default lenco L75

Hi, picked up a Lenco L75. Wonderful sound. Deep bass. Mine has the original Goldring g800 cartridge which sounds far better than I thought it would! Anyone recommend a replacement cartridge for the stock arm?
Thanks.
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:02 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: lenco L75

I'd be tempted to keep the original, and just treat yourself to a good quality replacement stylus. Try Mantra Audio.

The arm bearings (rubber V-blocks) on these will almost certainly need replacement. Do a Google search

Nick.
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:19 pm   #3
TempusFugit
Triode

ta for the reply. I'm changing the v blocks, quite like the look of the stock arm. And impressed already with the sound with the (I guess) original stylus. What do you think of the G800?
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:30 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It was definitely one of the cheaper magnetic cartridges around (and thus was fitted to SP25s etc.), though in real terms, was far from cheap.

I think it sounds fine, personally, just as good as the Shure offerings from the same era and in the same price bracket.

Nick.
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:33 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I would agree with Nick. The G800 is a perfectly acceptable cartridge and at the time was very good value for money.

I used one on a SP25 for some time and it gace good service.
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:48 pm   #6
TempusFugit
Triode

I had been tempted to get an Audio Technica 95 or 120 and try it, but after hearing how good the g800 sounded, presumably with a worn out stylus, Im wondering how much of a difference would it really make? For what? £40+ for the AT. £15 for a new stylus.
Old 17th Aug 2009, 2:35 pm   #7
jamesperrett
Octode

I'm not sure if they are still available, but I seem to remember that you could also fit better elliptical styli to the G800 to turn it into a G800E or G800SE.

Cheers

James.
Closed Thread