UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2009, 12:52 am   #1
riggerparish
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help to identify HMV gramophone

Hello guys,

Just got this gramophone and am very keen to know what model it is. It is definitely a HMV player but I cannot find any information as to what model. It even has a little plate on it with the details of the music shop it came from.

It has a No 2 soundbox and looks a bit like the HMV 109 (from images I have seen) with a cabinet underneath. However, I am no expert and I would welcome some tuition!

It plays perfectly and I am just on the look out now for some good vintage records to play on it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

R. Parish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g1.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	27923   Click image for larger version

Name:	g2.JPG
Views:	1190
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	27924   Click image for larger version

Name:	g3.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	27925   Click image for larger version

Name:	g4.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	27926   Click image for larger version

Name:	g5.JPG
Views:	911
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	27927  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 12th Aug 2009 at 1:05 am. Reason: Gargantuan embedded images converted to thumbnails.
Old 12th Aug 2009, 9:39 am   #2
dallaslaff
Pentode

Default Re: Help to identify HMV gramophone

Hi, I'm not an expert on Gramophones, but most of the HMV ones I've seen have a model number plate under the platter. Remove the circlip which retains it and it should simply lift off. I hope this helps.
Les
Old 12th Aug 2009, 11:15 am   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

This bears a resemblance to the machine discussed in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...hlight=hmv+109

The HMV transfer is the same style and the rare number 2 soundbox suggests model 110 or 125.. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 12th Aug 2009, 1:41 pm   #4
riggerparish
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the help so far. It is very similar to the machine shown in that thread but with a cabinet to sit on.

I took the platter off to have a little look underneath but didnt find any identification. Any other ideas? I have looked everywhere that doesnt require a screw driver to see into but no luck so far.

Oh, Darren... sorry about the "Gargantuan" embedded images. I should have posted thumnails but im still getting used to procedure here. Thanks for fixing it.

R. Parish
Old 12th Aug 2009, 7:49 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Hi
It's either a 160 or a 170. Both models are shown in the HMV catalogue for 1924. They have identical specifications, i.e. No2 soundbox, 12" turntable, automatic brake etc, but the illustrations show the machine closed, so can't see the inside! However the 170 is slightly higher, at forty and three quarter inches high, with the 160 standing at thirty eight and a half. Better get the tape measure out!

Barry
Old 13th Aug 2009, 12:15 am   #6
riggerparish
Retired Dormant Member

Its a HMV 160 then! It stands exactly 38 1/2" high!

Do you know when the 160's were made? Was the production run of 160's short or could it be late 1920's?

Thank you, Barry... I am impressed that you have such information to hand.

Thanks to all for helping me identify this wonderful machine. It might as well have had lots of pieces missing if I didnt know what model it was. Things like that bother me so I shall now sleep soundly in the knowledge that it is a HMV 160.

R. Parish
Old 13th Aug 2009, 11:15 am   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

It would seem that the 160 had a short production run, as all models in the 1925 catalogue had a No.4 soundbox. The 160 was superceded in that year by the 161, which was exactly the same size, but had deeper upper sound chamber doors, and therefore less record storage underneath.

Barry
Old 15th Aug 2009, 12:17 am   #8
riggerparish
Retired Dormant Member

There is (as of 15/08/09) an example of a HMV 161 on eBay.

Thanks for all the information, Barry.

R. Parish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nEvEbIXw2A
Closed Thread