UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2017, 6:51 pm   #1
Audion_1904
Retired Dormant Member

Question Are The Eveready PP6, 7, and 8\2 still made by Eveready?

I am wondering if Eveready UK still makes the well-known PP6, 7,
and 8\2 batteries, used in a number of vintage receivers as we all know. I know that the PP9 is still being made and available as a Eveready "Silver" type. However, I'm confused if the PP6, 7, and 8/2 are still available as originals. Many online searches I've done are turning up confusing information as to their availability as originals, as opposed to alkaline substitutes. The other battery I'm wondering about is the AD28\3R25 4.5V type. Again, like with the batteries above, is it still available as original?

The other question I have is which UK battery suppliers ship such batteries overseas to Canada. On my Google searches, a number of them only send to the UK ( others send to the EU also ). I'm having trouble finding a few companies that stock the above batteries and sends them to Canada.

However, one notable exception is the PP9. The UK's Farnell is part of the Newark Electronics network, so the PP9 can easily be ordered through Newark Canada, and there are no problems.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Old 21st Sep 2017, 7:17 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Are The Eveready PP6, 7, and 8\2 still made by Eveready?

The current "Ever Ready" UK operation are really nothing to do with the Ever Ready company of the distant past.

See http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...d-1494225.html for how they failed to keep up with the market and went under something like 3 decades ago.

These days the legacy Ever-Ready consumer-brand here in the UK is 'Energizer'.

"Eveready" [without the gap in the name] was only really ever a US brand. I always liked their "9-lives" logo of a cat jumping through the digit 9, but that's implications would never have been allowed here in Europe.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 21st Sep 2017 at 7:29 pm.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 8:16 pm   #3
paulsherwin

These old battery types are still manufactured in very small quantities but they are hard to obtain and expensive, even in the UK. There are a number of people who make reproduction batteries which use AA, AAA or CR2032 cells, and it would probably be better to investigate those for use in Canada.

It's quite easy to open a modern plastic cased PP9 and fit a 6 cell AA holder inside. Some people do that even in Britain, as 6 alkaline AAs cost a lot less than a PP9.

I don't think there are any consumer battery factories still operating in the UK.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 1:30 pm   #4
Neil Breward
Retired Dormant Member

Have you tried the Small Battery Company?

http://www.smallbattery.company.org...._catalogue.htm

They appear to have nearly the full range of PP batteries available!
Old 24th Sep 2017, 4:21 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

G6Tanuki,

Thanks for posting that link. It's the best factual summary I've read. I was at Ever Ready in the 1980s and the Hanson "Hit Squad" would visit the research dept and, when they visited the factory in Nth London, they flew in by helicopter and landed in the sports field...boy, did they get jeered !
Old 24th Sep 2017, 10:22 pm   #6
greg_simons
Octode

G6 tanuki,
many thanks for the link, it made depressing but familiar reading for some British industry back then, fascinating stuff I never knew.
greg.
Closed Thread