UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2017, 12:04 pm   #1
Dtimothy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Suitable amplifier for Keesonic KRF speakers

Hi I have a pair of keesonic krf monitor speakers and want to use an amplifier to work with it . New amps are fine but not necessarily match the older equipment . Any suggestions as to a good vintage amplifier .
Old 19th Sep 2017, 12:12 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Suitable amplifier for Keesonic KRF speakers

These are very decent early 80s speakers and will be fine with a modern amp or any good 80s or 90s vintage amp. I would hesitate to use them with a pre-80s transistor amp as they may not be very forgiving of the compromises involved in that technology. They may also sound a bit bright and forward with many valve amps. Ultimately it's down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. Ideally you would audition the speakers and proposed amp together, but that may not be practical.
Old 19th Sep 2017, 12:47 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These speakers have a lowish sensitivity and will need a bit of driving. I would have thought any 50 watt 1990's transistor amp would be fine - e.g. Pioneer A400 or the more powerful Marantz units.
Old 19th Sep 2017, 2:05 pm   #4
paulsherwin

That may be true, but remember that the difference between 25W and 50W is only 3dB - barely noticeable. It all depends on how the system is going to be used and what music it's going to be playing. Perhaps counterintuitively, you need more power for classical music with a wide dynamic range because you need to handle the transient peaks without clipping.
Old 19th Sep 2017, 2:21 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Clipping a too-low-powered amplifier into loudspeakers is a common way of destroying tweeters. Counter intuitively a low power amp in clipping can create more high frequency content than would be present from the same music played at a higher level with a more powerful amplifier which places the clipping point well above the listening level.

We've recently had a few threads of people who have acquired reputable speakers and found the tweeters open-circuit.

As long as the cult models are avoided, there are plenty of amplifiers around of comfortable power at no greater price.

David
Old 20th Sep 2017, 11:47 am   #6
Dtimothy
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks David. I spoke to my local Hi Fi shop but they can only recommend their current stock which may not be the best. Will take them along to audition.

Cheers once again for your prompt reply.
Old 20th Sep 2017, 11:50 am   #7
Dtimothy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Clipping a too-low-powered amplifier into loudspeakers is a common way of destroying tweeters. Counter intuitively a low power amp in clipping can create more high frequency content than would be present from the same music played at a higher level with a more powerful amplifier which places the clipping point well above the listening level
Many thanks for the advice, on a higher power amp benefits.

Cheers, Derek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
These speakers have a lowish sensitivity and will need a bit of driving. I would have thought any 50 watt 1990's transistor amp would be fine - e.g. Pioneer A400 or the more powerful Marantz units.
Yes they are, by modern standards low sensitivity @ 85db.
cheers it all helps
Closed Thread