UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2017, 8:05 am   #1
jocarl011
Triode

Default Satellit 2100 tuning sensitivity drop

Hi been restoring a couple Grundig satellit 2100s. I have sorted most the problems but both have the same niggling issue, on the top analogue tuner, which is for mw/lw/sw1/sw2 when tuning accross the spread it drops all sensitivity in sections. One of the radios drops completely from around the middle of the scale right accross to the far left, the other drops in sections. Both are fine inbetween this. I have cleaned the switches on the top of the radio and cleaned the contacts for the middle sw turret, which now works well. I sprayed switch cleaner on the tuning capacitor which unsurprisingly did nothing.

Any help with where to start with this one will be great please?

Regards Carl.
Old 17th Sep 2017, 10:02 pm   #2
orbanp1
Heptode

Default Re: Satellit 2100 tuning sensitivity drop

Hi Carl,

Any chance that the variable capacitor plates are shorting?
Is the oscillator running while the sensitivity is down, i.e. is the radio totally deaf? If so, check the oscillator section of the cap as well.
Disconnect the leads from the variable cap, attach an Ohm-meter across the cap, and tune across the band, and see if there is a short.
If there is a short, depending the gap between the plates, repairing, or adjusting the plates so they would not short could be hard.
You also might need to adjust the set screw at the end of the shaft.
Having done that personally, this is not fun, and a successful outcome is questionable.

Good luck, Peter
Old 18th Sep 2017, 9:03 am   #3
jocarl011
Triode

Default Re: Satellit 2100 tuning sensitivity drop

Thanks for your help Peter, I will check the vari cap and report back. Nothing is easy to work on with this radio!

Regards Carl.
Closed Thread