UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2017, 5:23 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Mystery stain in workshop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
With one of those high speed oscillating 'plunge' cutters (what the heck do they call them?)
'Multi-Cutters' like this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-er...ies-230v/62616

All carbon copies of the original 'Fein' brand. In some people's eyes, Fein are to power tools what Fluke are to multi-meters:

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/produc...cessories.html

I'm a hobbyist - I got my multi-cutter from Aldi as a Workzone 'Special Buy' for about £30.00 with 3-year warranty. Works a treat for cutting across floorboards or cutting square holes in plasterboard for mounting power socket recessed boxes. (Aldi sell the universal cutter sets was below the cost of branded ones and they seem to work just as well).

Can't add anything to the thread - I think it's all been said.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 6:05 pm   #22
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Wow! what a response thank you to all that have responded. There are no pipes in the area. Our dogs have only been in there two or three times under supervision, and would need to be sat on top of the Ferrograph and aim very carefully missing the wall. There is a Murphy B40 and a Marconi Guardian IV nearby but no leakage from them. The Ferrograph that was sat on the mark shows no sign of leakage. The area at the back of the wall is clear of rubbish and moss. I will cut out the section of skirting board and investigate, but not for a few days.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 10th Sep 2017 at 6:15 pm.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 11:56 pm   #23
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

In 1971 I moved into an old cottage which had been "smartened up" by the builder/property developer I bought it from. I had similar rusty nails showing after a while. A stud wall had been built, then the floor received 1" of bitumen, with the skirting sitting on the bitumen, but the plasterboard touching the ground.
Likewise, the solid walls had been covered with bitumen, plastered down to the ground level, and skirting board added. Simple damp penetration because of plaster not isolated from ground surface. If your woodwork is not full of rot, then the water has come DOWN as a short term event (maybe one month) then stopped. If much longer, rot is inevitable. The sniff test quickly proves or disproves fungal rot, as does a fingernail pressed firmly.
Les
Closed Thread