UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2017, 10:32 pm   #1
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Default Radio Northsea International 9/9/17 22:28hrs

I am currently listening to 6070khz and I am very surprised to hear a 1970's transmission of RNI in the Dutch speaking service . I assume it is coming from Holland as the signal is very swishy and drifts up and down . Can anyone else hear this? I Have been listening since about 22:00hrs . I am in the north of England , it would be interesting to see if anyone down south can get this.
I am at ground level listening on a Grundig YB 305 on a telescopic ant so it should not be too difficult for others to hear.
Old 9th Sep 2017, 10:46 pm   #2
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Radio Northsea International 9/9/17 22:28hrs

Hi,
Going to tune in now. will report back if anything heard.
Could be a time slip
Paul.
Old 9th Sep 2017, 10:48 pm   #3
Station X

S9 +10 in Ipswich, but as the OP says some fading.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Sep 2017, 10:51 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Not got a SW set here at the moment. Wasn't 6070 their second frequency back in the 70's?

I often got better reception than on MW!
Old 9th Sep 2017, 10:53 pm   #5
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
S9 +10 in Ipswich, but as the OP says some fading.
Thanks, Nice report.
Done some digging and appears that it is indeed a re-broadcast of vintage programming... Turns out hams have taken over the old German DW transmitter or parts of it and the frequency... Good on them !
They go by the handle of "Radio Channel 292"
Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Not got a SW set here at the moment. Wasn't 6070 their second frequency back in the 70's?
OOH! didn't know that ! Interesting...
Old 9th Sep 2017, 11:03 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Well I think in their heyday they actually had four. I think it was 220 metres (that changed during the election campaign to 244 MW), 6.070Mhz SW, there was another on 9 something or other Mhz and for the Dutch there was 100Mhz FM.

They had a special SW program on Sunday by (I think) A.J Bearans called Nordsee goes DX inviting people from all over the world to send in reception reports.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 12:55 pm   #7
m0cemdave
Octode

From what I remember as an avid listener at the time, RNI's HF broadcasts were on 6205 (originally 6210) and 9940 kHz.
The 6205 service had surprisingly good audio quality although of course it suffered from a lot of fading.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 1:53 pm   #8
Junk Box Nick
Octode

RNI went all over the place before settling on 1367kHz announced 220m (but actually 219m). Originally starting out on 186m it also tried out 190m, 217m and 244m. I don't remember 6070kHz but it certainly tried out 6210kHz (Norway complained of interference) before settling on 6205kHz which IIRC was 5kHz outside of what was then a very crowded 49m band. This area of the spectrum just outside the band was, in those days, popular with land-based pirates, the most prominent being World Music Radio.

RNI never seemed to have much success getting a signal out on 31m. 9940 and, latterly, 9935kHz were used but transmissions seemed sporadic and ceased around the end of 1971 though there were some later tests on 9780kHz. The 6205kHz signal was lovely quality, always strong in the daytime though with a bit of fading, and early on summer evenings it often offered better reception of the English programmes than 1367. The 49m signal was easy to receive and provided a welcome alternative to Radio One which joined up with Radio Two for some of the day. One school friend used to listen to the Sunday afternoon 'World Service' on the family radiogram. Those of us that had access to a set with shortwave enjoyed this different fare and being ahead of the game with some records and artists.
Old 10th Sep 2017, 8:13 pm   #9
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

The "6 meg" broadcast band is usually excellent for broadcasting within Europe. RNI made a good choice with 6205, and here in the midlands reception was consistently good. I remember "AJ on Sunday" as presenter A.J. Behrns called it. A mine of information about who was doing what on what frequency, and some good music to boot. We also had the company of "diddy-dah" (U in morse), the (too) nearby frequency morse station, which turned out to be from the USSR, and was, when not sending "U", sending coded instruction schedules for the Soviet Union's jammers for western broadcasts. (Or so the story goes!) Tony.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 7:58 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Are we going to bring up "Echo Charlie?"
Perhaps we shouldn't... any takers?
Closed Thread