UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2017, 1:43 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Asterisk setup? Is this kind of way of working a possibility?

Hello!

I think what I'm hoping to achieve with my Asterisk install is possible, but because it's probably a bit hard to explain, I've drawn a picture.

Does it look possible? Feels strange asking an Asterisk related question on a Vintage Telephony subforum but it does relate to C*Net...

Please ask if it's not clear.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7261.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	146766  
Old 25th Jul 2017, 2:11 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Asterisk setup? Is this kind of way of working a possibility?

That looks as though it will be very easy to implement.
Old 25th Jul 2017, 4:01 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I know what you mean, I felt on dodgy ground starting my Asterisk thread until Pellseinydd responded with some CNet context.
At least dialling TIM on my system connects to Pat Simmons so that's a start.

The answer to your question is an emphatic YES!

I only wish I had your insight when I built my first box (Trixbox on an x86 machine) some years ago. You had to dial a "9" for an external call, That's what I was used to in office systems , but I soon realised you can be far more imaginative.

There could be a conflict with Rotherham, local numbers beginning with 2 & 4, I would have to see what you are doing in more detail, but it should still be possible, eg. your outgoing route can look for the length of 6 [NXXXXX] instead of the usual [N.]
Old 25th Jul 2017, 5:39 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

I always took the view that Asterisk, in conjunction with vintage analogue telephones, is hardly really any more off-topic than grafting modern batteries into old radios, or using other modern techniques to substitute for an unobtainable part.

No doubt the moderation team will have their own thoughts; but I think we'll probably be OK as long as the discussion remains civil and doesn't develop into any sort of Holy War.
Old 25th Jul 2017, 9:45 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I know what you mean, I felt on dodgy ground starting my Asterisk thread until Pellseinydd responded with some CNet context.
At least dialling TIM on my system connects to Pat Simmons so that's a start.

The answer to your question is an emphatic YES!

I only wish I had your insight when I built my first box (Trixbox on an x86 machine) some years ago. You had to dial a "9" for an external call, That's what I was used to in office systems , but I soon realised you can be far more imaginative.

There could be a conflict with Rotherham, local numbers beginning with 2 & 4, I would have to see what you are doing in more detail, but it should still be possible, eg. your outgoing route can look for the length of 6 [NXXXXX] instead of the usual [N.]
It is possible to achieve all sorts with Asterisk. For instance I have on my system, a code 82 which routes in one case to an old GPO UAX5 exchange whereas in the other case it routes to a different exchange but both exchanges have the same code! Asterisk looks not only at the digits dialled but how many digits you dial Therefore dial 82XX takes you down one route whereas dialling 82XXX takes the other route. Same can be done with modern PSTN numbers. If you dial say a modern London PSTN number 020 XXXX XXXX (11 digits) whereas on CNet we still use 01 XXX XXXX as a London number (9 digits) so the Asterisk can route the call accordingly. Same applies to numbers on your own Asterisk - they will be three or four digits long, possibly five digits. (There are some public exchanges with five digit numbers so only certain number ranges will work on those)

Thus your vintage telephones can dial an old STD code and number and it will go over CNet or dial a modern PSTN number and it will go out on your BT line. It is imperative that you set the system up such that incoming callers can get access to your BT line but Asterisk provides plenty of call barring options.

Over the last 12 years or so since CNet first started, we've built quite a network up replicating the old public network of forty plus years ago. (back
on topic?)

My Asterisk has about 230 lines working off it into about fifteen countries all with their own 'local exchange' numbering. Surprising what you can get an Raspberry Pi to do! It handles about a thousand calls a day, with a call to the Speaking Clock about twenty odd times an hour! I bet the late Pat Simmonds never thought her voice would be carrying on for .....?

Ian
Old 25th Jul 2017, 10:27 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
It is imperative that you set the system up such that incoming callers can get access to your BT line
I won't correct the obvious typo, but I will say that even I can't get access to my BT line, far too expensive! All my outgoing calls go via VoIP providers, even Freefone numbers go via a Sipgate trunk.
Quote:
Surprising what you can get an Raspberry Pi to do! It handles about a thousand calls a day, with a call to the Speaking Clock about twenty odd times an hour! I bet the late Pat Simmonds never thought her voice would be carrying on for .....?
Ian
Ian I wonder if you have a list of CNet related SIP URIs?
I am not suggesting you revel your own IP or hostname for the stuff you host, but I imagine there are dedicated systems around the world that allow anonymous inbound connections.
Old 25th Jul 2017, 10:59 pm   #7
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

What you propose is probably achievable within most ATAs dial plan, so you wouldn't need to run your own Asterisk system provided you can connect into C*Net across a SIP trunk.
Old 25th Jul 2017, 11:04 pm   #8
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
It is imperative that you set the system up such that incoming callers can get access to your BT line
I won't correct the obvious typo, but I will say that even I can't get access to my BT line, far too expensive! All my outgoing calls go via VoIP providers, even Freefone numbers go via a Sipgate trunk.
Odd as I originally wrote 'can't' but altered it to can not but it seems to have vanished.

Quote:
Ian I wonder if you have a list of CNet related SIP URIs?
I am not suggesting you revel your own IP or hostname for the stuff you host, but I imagine there are dedicated systems around the world that allow anonymous inbound connections.
I'm one of three people in the world with all that info as I administer CNet for not only the UK but the rest of the World - except for the North American Numbering Plan Area - Country code +1. However most on CNet block calls that don't come from other members - we have great problems with incoming callers trying to access our Asterisks and get out onto the PSTN. You'd be surprised how many applications I get from folk in West African countries, India/Pakistan and China. Plus others from Russia but claiming to be in other countries. The only real way is to join CNet which was set up to link old preserved exchanges 12 years ago but extended to other 'vintage kit' which now includes early electronic PABXs & Key Systems or just telephones. All we ask is that the numbering remains that before Linked Numbering Schemes with five or six digit numbers.
Ian CNet 0352 2345
Old 25th Jul 2017, 11:31 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many applications I get from folk in West African countries, India/Pakistan and China. Plus others from Russia but claiming to be in other countries.
We get that most days on the Forum too, from every corner of the globe. In our case mostly for spamming. Their IP address betrays them though!
Old 26th Jul 2017, 8:54 pm   #10
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Odd as I originally wrote 'can't' but altered it to can not but it seems to have vanished.....
I set up my Asterisk so that access to the PSTN (via my home POTS line) was via a PIN protected number with an announcement asking for the PIN to be entered.

Setting up you Asterisk initially creates a huge learning curve but there's plenty of help out there and I'm sure that Ian (Pellseinydd) will keep you on track as he has done, and is currently continuing to do so, for me over my time on CNet

Andrew
Old 27th Jul 2017, 12:44 am   #11
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post

I set up my Asterisk so that access to the PSTN (via my home POTS line) was via a PIN protected number with an announcement asking for the PIN to be entered.
I (sort of)do a similar thing, In despite what I said earlier. I can force calls through the landline with a 1280 prefix (borrowed from carrier preselect practice) The only calls that would by default go via the landline are 999/112.
Quote:
Setting up you Asterisk initially creates a huge learning curve but there's plenty of help out there and I'm sure that Ian (Pellseinydd) will keep you on track as he has done, and is currently continuing to do so, for me over my time on CNet
I don't know if anyone here is using vanilla Asterisk, I know one or two people who do

The rest of us will be using a GUI like FreePBX. I find it pretty intuitive, as long as you approach the issue methodically. Sure, the dial patterns can look a bit daunting, but no more so than a Sipura dial-plan string, until someone explains it to you.
Andrew[/QUOTE]
Old 27th Jul 2017, 11:06 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

I think something this will do just about what your picture is showing:
extensions.conf
Code:
[dialout]
; 2XX is an internal extension
exten => _2XX,1,NoOp(Calling internal extension ${EXTEN})
exten => _2XX,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN})
exten => _2XX,n,Hangup()
; 4... is a number on CNET
; assume we have already set the variable ${CNET} up in the [global] section
exten => _4.,1,NoOp(Calling CNet number ${EXTEN:1})
; the :1 means skip 1 digit from the beginning
exten => _4.,n,Dial(${CNET}/S{EXTEN:1})
exten => _4.,n,Hangup()
; everything else goes straight to the real telephone system
; again, assume ${PSTN} is already set up
exten => _X.,1,NoOp(Calling rest-of-world number ${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,n,Dial(${PSTN}/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,n,Hangup()
This is from the top of my head, so please forgive me if I'm talking through my hat You'll need to set appropriate values for ${CNET} and ${PSTN} in the [global] section of your dialplan, or substitute accordingly within the above snippet. For instance, your PSTN exchange line might be addressed as Zap/1 needing a command like Dial(Zap/1/number) ; in which case you could use Set(PSTN=Zap/1) or Dial(Zap/1/${EXTEN}) . Using a variable means if you ever have to change it, you will only ever have to change it in one place.

To allow calling of local numbers beginning with a 4 and require a prefix 17 to call CNet, you could use something like
Code:
exten => _17X.,1,NoOp(Calling CNet number ${EXTEN:2})
exten => _17X.,n,Dial(${CNET}/S{EXTEN:2})
exten => _17X.,Hangup()
The above dialplan already allows for local numbers beginning with a 2 as long as they are longer than 3 digits. Or of course you could just dial the STD code .....
Old 28th Jul 2017, 1:54 am   #13
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I think Boombox will be using FreePBX (RASPBX).
What he is asking for looks like it can be implemented simply enough using outbound routes.
I know the old adage "GUIs are for WIMPS", and I can only speak for myself here,
I'm a self-confessed wimp.

In any case, with FreePBX manually entered contexts have to go in extensions_custom.conf
Closed Thread