UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2016, 10:02 pm   #1
murphy512
Pentode

Default Philips B3G63A Broken Tuning Glass.

Can anybody tell me if there is a satisfactory way of repairing this tuning dial glass?
A similar repair is described in the "recent repairs" section on a Philips Reverbeo, but I was wondering if anybody else has attempted such repair.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips b3g.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	135161  
Old 31st Dec 2016, 2:03 am   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Philips B3G63A Broken Tuning Glass.

I had a GEC radio that had a broken dial glass recently, I used Loctite Super glue for glass (their new version of glass bond, doesn't need UV light to make it set) which has worked OK, you can still see where it broke, but that is probably because the background colour on the dial has come away from the edges of the breaks making them show up more. It does seem to be holding the glass together well enough though.

It might work quite well on your dial, as I guess most of the break will be covered by the control knob.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 2:46 am   #3
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Thanks for the info. about the new product. I had several dismal messy failures with the old one, and one partial success that sagged or warped slightly while setting and broke again on re-fitting.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 3:53 am   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Glass Loctite does work, assemble on a flat surface with a piece of polythene or cling film underneath on the printed side, the glue will not stick to this.
Felt tip pens will diguise the missing print.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 10:21 am   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I'll have a look later but I may just have a spare glass for one of these. I did scrap one of these sets several years ago but can't remember if the glass has already been passed on to another collector. Most of the other useful parts have been used to save other sets.
Old 31st Dec 2016, 6:30 pm   #6
murphy512
Pentode

Thanks Sideband, if you still have it that would be great and thank you Lloyd for your suggestion.
Regards
Aldo
Old 2nd Jan 2017, 9:06 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

You're in luck! The scale glass is still here and in very good condition. I hope that I can pack it well enough to survive the post. Alternatively as you are based in London, maybe it will be possible to arrange collection (safest). Contact me by PM to discuss.

Cheers
Old 15th Jan 2017, 12:02 pm   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

Aldo (Murphy 512) met me in Croydon yesterday and now has a replacement tuning scale. We spent a pleasant hour in one of the local pubs talking technical before making our different ways home.

Nice to meet you Aldo and I hope the scale completes the repair.

Cheers.