UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2017, 8:55 pm   #1
andymul
Retired Dormant Member

Default Wharfedale Triton Professional series aka BSR P128

Greetings,

Please forgive any incorrect terms before I start as I am new but willing to learn and be taught.

I have recently inherited a Wharfedale Triton professional series Turntable which after doing some digging on your wonderful have learnt that this is more correctly a BSR P128 in a Wharfedale chassis.
The attached image, is not my own but is the same model, happy to provide some more images if that would prove useful.

I would love to have any more details about this turntable for a beginner such as myself and really where to go next.

I was able to get the unit to run, although it does seem rather stiff and has probably seized up given most of the grease underneath looks like toffee.
A definite earth hum grounding issue and a rather loud buzz to, the unit seemed to be very microphonic picking up motor noise when playing.

I am very happy to dabble but wondered if I would be best having a seasoned pro give it all a once over?

Regards,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BSR.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	149751  
Old 21st Sep 2017, 11:35 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Wharfedale Triton Professional series aka BSR P128

Hello Andy and welcome - if you are happy to dabble, you are probably in the right place - you will get plenty of useful advice. You have already identified the old grease issue and that will need addressing - check the stickies at the top of the page - specifically - reviving your old record player. The 'hum' and 'buzz' is more likely to be an issue with the cartridge and/or grounding of the deck chassis. Give us more detail/photos - eg, what cartridge? what amp are you feeding it into? This is a perfectly serviceable record deck with a bit of TLC.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 7:01 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Andy and welcome.

This is a good machine to have a play with. It's not worth much so if things go wrong, it's no big deal. On the other hand, when you get it working, it will be a respectable and reliable performer, far better than any cheap offerings you can buy new currently.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:03 am   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I worked for Wharfedale in the early 90's, and I had absolutely no idea that they had dabbled with turntables at some point.

Any idea what the age of this is?
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:23 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This would be c. 1970 I'd guess, just after Rank took them over.

There were also Wharfedale-branded amps/receivers/tuners which were really Rotels in disguise, and a tape deck which was a re-badged Nakamichi. Pics found via Google:

All "entry-level" stuff but well made and reliable.

N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wharfedale cassette.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	149769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wharfedale receiver.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	149770  
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:33 am   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Well well. I used to take care of Wharfedale brands, and the only one of note was Leak, and others we acquired (Cambridge Audio, Fane, Lynx) while I was there . In fact when Rank were involved, at that stage the company was called Rank-Leak-Wharfedale. I has no idea that at the turn of the 70's that they went into non-Leak electronics, or that they owned BSR.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:34 am   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

That TT looks more like a Linton amplifier design. The early Wharfedale amps were cut down versions of the Leak stereo 30 plus. Shortly after the Rank takeover of Leak and Wharfedale and before the Rotel made products.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:54 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
I has no idea that at the turn of the 70's that they went into non-Leak electronics, or that they owned BSR.
But they never did own BSR, AFAIK. Like a lot of other brands, they just bought their decks as bare chassis and incorporated them into plinths etc. of their own design.
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 10:06 am   #9
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Phew - that is a relief! Since I was the brand (and patent) custodian I thought I'd missed something critical.
Closed Thread