UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2017, 6:18 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 101 portable gramophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
Anyone tried Plusgas as an alternative to WD40??
PlusGas isn't an alternative to WD40 as a dismantling fluid, it's simply the right stuff for the job whereas WD40 isn't; though WD40 may help slightly, it's no more use than any thin oil would be.

WD40 is intended for and very good at Water Displacement hence its beneficial effects around ignition systems that have got loads of condensation on them!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Aug 2017, 1:16 pm   #22
DonaldStott
Octode

Here we have it - disassembled, degreased and cleaned - all the parts for the HMV 101 No. 59 motor.

Nice shiny spring case and re-greased spring thanks to Audio1950 (Barry).

Wish me luck with the re-assembly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170827_124451.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	148510  
Old 27th Aug 2017, 4:07 pm   #23
Audio1950
Dekatron

Good luck, Alistair, and don't forget that tiny ball bearing in the top plate!

Barry
Old 27th Aug 2017, 6:09 pm   #24
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Barry - the ball bearing was extracted previously using a cocktail stick and safely stored away. A small drop of grease in the top plate housing and then I'll pop the ball bearing back in.

Last edited by DonaldStott; 27th Aug 2017 at 6:10 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 20th Sep 2017, 10:17 am   #25
DonaldStott
Octode

Finally got the motor reassembled and suitably lubricated following some one-to-one mentoring by Audio1950 (thanks again Barry). I managed to resolve a clicking problem that seemed to be linked to the governor armature worm and the spindle brass gear. Just a question of getting the governor armature bearings located correctly with the grub screws so that everything aligns properly.

The Essex boards that form the two top boards were starting to de-laminate and these have now been glued and the holes, dents and scratches on their surfaces filled and polished - looking good!

The three bolts holding the tone arm assembly to the board and internal horn were not for budging even after trying a number of rust removers and release agents! So I've given up on that fight for fear of damaging things beyond repair - if the three bolts want to stay put then they can!

Now back onto restoring the Rexine as it had been badly affected by dampness and mould - several large sections were completely unattached while some large dimples in other areas were fixed using a syringe with a mixture of PVA and water. Still got some gaps and deep scuff marks but I'm not one for replacing it - the gramophone is almost 90 years old and not looking too bad for its age! It's amazing how well the Rexine looks following a liberal application or two of Scuff Coat for leather shoes!

Unfortunately the worst affected area is the lid which is also the most visible - the main casualty is the HMV logo on the inside which had simply crumbled to dust due to the dampness and mould. The Rexine on the inside flap will require to be replaced as it is beyond saving and I am searching for a new HMV 101 water slide decal.

The case metalwork is next to be cleaned up and I will follow Audio1950's advice to use Brass Black and lacquer or spray with black enamel.

Still need a new black leather handle but the good news is that I've managed to acquire a brass backed No. 4 Soundbox - I'll listen to what that sounds like following full reassembly before deciding whether or not I need to replace the diaphragm and gasket.

Work in progress ...

Last edited by DonaldStott; 20th Sep 2017 at 10:21 am. Reason: Typos
Old 9th Feb 2018, 11:19 pm   #26
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
and I am searching for a new HMV 101 water slide decal.
Did you get sorted for this? The decal on my 101 is almost as new. I could let you have a copy of it but it would have to be a photograph not a scan.

The handles are on ebay from a guy IIRC in the Netherlands. Very cheap only about £8.
Closed Thread