UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2017, 3:24 pm   #1
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Philips 'scope probe, PM 9358/01

Re: thread title: recently acquired; it's brand new & unused; came as a complete boxed kit. It's a 100:1 type; mechanical design more-or-less standard - except for two things:

(a) the probe 'input' end. The diameter of the earth ring at that end is too large to fit a probe-to-BNC female socket / adapter. (Nor any other type of R.F. connector that I know of). Was one ever made? Is such an item available?

(b) there are two probe attachments: the type for hooking the probe to a wire. One is conventional and fits the probe; the other looks conventional, but its internal diameter is too small to fit the probe. So, why is it in the kit?

And does anyone have any idea of its -3dB (and -1dB) bandwidth? (With its earth lead attached, -1dB seems to be in the region of 50 → 75 MHz. But that's with its earth wire connected to source whose Zout is 50 Ω . . . . )

In addition to those Qs., if someone can direct me to where I can find the manual for this probe, most (if not all) of those Qs. should be answered.

Thank you.
Al.
Old 31st Jul 2017, 3:44 pm   #2
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 'scope probe, PM 9358/01

Download a copy of the PM3226 service manual, it is covered on page 94
Old 31st Jul 2017, 3:48 pm   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

(b) Probably chucked in the box from another probe.

Philips tend to use rise time on probes. So in that case it says 1.2nS. Relationship is " bandwidth = 0.35 / risetime " so that's about 290MHz.

You won't get anywhere near the quoted bandwidth without using the probe tip ring as ground rather than the provided ground strap. Might have to bodge an in circuit termination like the following picture: https://i.stack.**********/cbLXI.png

As for manual, I can't help I'm afraid.

Edit: ignore first (a) response. Wrong end of wire! I haven't seen one unfortunately.

Last edited by MrBungle; 31st Jul 2017 at 3:54 pm.
Old 31st Jul 2017, 6:09 pm   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Philips 'scope probe, PM 9358/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Philips tend to use rise time on probes. So in that case it says 1.2nS. Relationship is " bandwidth = 0.35 / rise-time " so that's about 290MHz.

You won't get anywhere near the quoted bandwidth without using the probe tip ring as ground rather than the provided ground strap.
First para: that's useful: thanks.
Second para: Yes, I'm well aware of that: thanks anyway.

Al.
Old 31st Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinaston1 View Post
Download a copy of the PM3226 service manual: it is covered on page 94.
Thanks; got it. Unfortunately, it does not answer my questions (a) and (b). With regard to (b), I suspect a bit of Teutonic cunning is at work here!
But it did discover that its B/W is such that it is intended for use with 'scopes that have a 150 MHz B/W. That's quite adequate for my expected needs; my Tek. 2465 is 'flat' to 100 MHz (Tek. claim a 300 MHz B/W - which, of course, is -3 dB on its LF response).

Al.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 6:58 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Philips 'scope probe, PM 9358/01

Question (b) now solved - with the help of a bit of lateral thinking! The probe slide-on sleeve is actually in two parts. The end from which the retractable hook emerges is unscrewable from the rest of that sleeve. So the 'mystery' item is, in point of fact, a replacement part for that bit. And to me, that is a replacement part, readily to hand, which will probably be really welcome one day. Clever thinking by Philips.

Al.
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 7:12 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Mystery solved and a good piece of engineering in the end. Nice to know!
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 10:45 pm   #8
Chaparal
Hexode

Here some specs from advertizing 1974

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips PM 9358 - Probe - specs.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	147336  
Old 16th Sep 2017, 10:28 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

This thread has clearly run its course: time for its closure.

Al. / Sept. 16th.
Old 16th Sep 2017, 10:48 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

The non-standard bigger ground ring is for clearance because 100:1 probes are usually needed for testing high voltage things. other 100:1 probes may have accessories which fit.

David