UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2017, 8:36 pm   #21
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: KB VC4 dual standard TV.

I had the RGD version of these sets out on rental in the 1960s. The VC4 was introduced in 1966. The sets were available with 19 or 23" CRTs. Very reliable in service but customers found the rotary UHF tuner a bit tricky so later on a four button push button tuner was fitted. The modification was a success but the appearance of the set was spoilt somewhat.
The escutcheon for the push button tuner was the same component as fitted on the VC200 series models.

DFWB.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 9:20 am   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have a spare copy of the VC4 manual if you would like it. PM with full name and address please. It has an actual size chassis layout and a huge circuit.

The added resistor is probably the 7 ohm HT surge limiter to the silicon HT rectifier.
Take care as the mains dropper is in two section, heater dropper and HT smoothing so take care with tests.

You don't even need a meter to check this one. A 15w pygmy bulb on two leads, one connected to chassis will give a visual indication of what has gone open circuit. Likely a section of the mains dropper or the heater of the boost diode PY800/801 pins 4/5.

Come on boy this is an easy one! Results by the weekend?

Probably the best monochrome chassis ever produced.

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img628.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	149359  
Old 13th Sep 2017, 12:34 pm   #23
crackle
Rest in Peace

If you want I will scan and add to my website of free KB service manuals.

Mike
Old 13th Sep 2017, 6:18 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

No problem Mike. Would you like me to send it to you and then you can make it available to everyone. John.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 6:55 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes I am happy to do that. I will send email with my details.

cheers
Mike
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 11:15 am   #26
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Hi all,

I'd first like to apologise for replying so late, this will be due to my move to university to study architecture, this first week at university has been quite busy so I've not really had the time to visit the forum properly.

I will try and make sometime for the tv this weekend, the tv is currently sitting in my university 'dorm' room so it's easily accessible.

Hi DFWB, it was very interesting to read that they exchanged the rotary dial for push buttons, I can't even imagine what that would look like!

Hi John, thanks for finding that manual, that will be very useful!

Kindest regards,

Ryan
Old 30th Sep 2017, 7:28 am   #27
crackle
Rest in Peace

For anyone still following this thread I have scanned the service manual courtesy of Heatercathodeshort.
http://www.kbmuseum.org.uk/other_ser...assis_crts.pdf

I have just realised there is no UHF tuner details.
Ill have a look through the R&TVS books to see if it is in there and include it in the service manual if I find it.

Mike

Edit; found the VC4 chassis in R&TVS 1967-68 book but still no details on the UHF tuner.

Last edited by crackle; 30th Sep 2017 at 7:46 am.
Closed Thread