UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:56 am   #81
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: What is your earliest memory of radio, TV's etc?

My earliest memory of radios and tv's was as a boy living in Cornwall. Our only radio was a small Ferranti handbag style transistor portable with a large round dial on it. I think it used the popular Ecko chassis, it was MW only as LW had stopped working so it could only pick up Radio 4 west region and sometimes Radio Luxembourg at night.
We had a brand new 19" Pye dual standard black and white rental tv working on 405 only as we did not have a UHF tv aerial. It gave good 405 pictures on BBC1 and Westward TV apart from BBC1 suffering the dreaded co channel interference during Sporadic E openings. This was the model before the 267 chassis and used that 6 push button intergrated tuner which was famed for fireing out the buttons across the room at high velocity. This happened twice the first time the button zapped around the room and ended up in the open coal fire, the second time it hit our large German Shepherd dog who was not amused.
At our primary school we had a Clark and Smith radio for the BBC radio school programmes on Radio 4. This radio sounded good on both MW and VHF through the large extension speakers.
The school television was donated by someone from the village. It was a 17" HMV 1910 405 only TV with the piano key tuner and gave good results from the large rooftop aerial.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 5:35 pm   #82
telstar
Octode

My earliest memories of television programmes was seeing the Six-Five Special on BBC television hosted by Pete Murray. This illustrated the performances of early rock and roll, skiffle bands and crooners. I always remember the theme tune performed by Don Lang & his Frantic 5, and the appearance of a steam locomotive (class A1) on the Forth Rail Bridge.
Other programmes like "Robin Hood" (Richard Greene); "William Tell" (Conrad Philips); "The Buccaneers" (Robert Shaw); "Ivanhoe" (Roger Moore) - these appeared on ITV and made viewing more interesting. The Six-Five" was surpassed by "Oh-Boy" on ITV as it was found that the BBC was a bit restrictive on music programmes.
I also remember other programmes like "Route 66" an American programme with its distinctive theme tune (Nelson Riddle Orchestra); comedies like Arthur Haynes show; series like "Man of the World" and its replacement "The Sentimental Agent"; "The Rat-Catchers" with Gerald Flood; "Sergeant Cork" (Victorian crime series).
There are many others which I will mention later.
Mike
Old 30th Jan 2017, 5:45 pm   #83
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
My earliest memories of television programmes was seeing the Six-Five Special on BBC television hosted by Pete Murray. This illustrated the performances of early rock and roll, skiffle bands and crooners. I always remember the theme tune performed by Don Lang & his Frantic 5, and the appearance of a steam locomotive (class A1) on the Forth Rail Bridge.
Some of the rail footage was shot on the (former) Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith line: a short tunnel and one of Bouch's bow bridges.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:02 pm   #84
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

I can remember visiting my Uncle Jack who was a farmer in Dorset. He had in my eyes an amazing TV with a mirror!!! If I knew then what I know now.., it was a pre war job.
This was in the late 50's
Old 31st Jan 2017, 6:05 pm   #85
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Some of the rail footage was shot on the (former) Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith line: a short tunnel and one of Bouch's bow bridges.
Hi. Many thanks for the information. Early radio and television played a massive part in my childhood in the late 1950's/early 1960's (thanks to my late father repairing such equipment) plus a great aunt that took me to see the railways before Beeching & Marples ruined them in the name of "progress". It was like some kind of therapy to help me overcome what could be described as "difficult times"(so I was once informed) that is why I can remember that era very clearly. Many people do not understand how I can recall such fine details either, but that is how it was.
The Six-Five also featured Chas MacDevitt & Nancy Whiskey performing "Freight Train"; Johnny Duncan & The Blue Grass Boys performing "Last Train to San Fernando" amongst other memorable records.
Some more programmes like D.I.Y ones by Barry Bucknell; cooking by Philip Harbern (think that I have spelled that right?).
I learned that the "Watch with Mother" series was once under threat of being axed because the BBC at that time did not really understand why children had to have their own television series, so they were eventually reprieved because of people campaigning to keep them.
It also took a while to find out about the arrow s.f.x on the opening of "The Adventures of Robin Hood". Joe Meek created those effects before he went in to music productions. Both this and the following I.T.C (Lord Grade) productions were very useful in creating future careers for many actors.
We mainly had Granada television then on I.T.V, but there were other channels that had programmes on that slot - T.W.W news programmes with Huw Thomas that had a distinctive theme tune that nobody has any details on. Anglia and Tyne Tees also had other series on that channel.
If I remember other rare programmes from that era, I will add them to the list.
Cheers
Mike
Closed Thread