UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2017, 5:20 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default Recovering a Perdio PR73 Continental

Hi.

One of my projects that I'm working on at the moment is a Perdio Continental. The plywood cabinet was badly reglued on two corners and the paper cloth covering was in a poor condition. I stripped off the covering and separated the badly glued corners, cleaning away all traces of adhesive. The cabinet is now re glued and any imperfections repaired with plastic wood.

Now to my question. The original covering appears to be a paper backed cloth and it's difficult to know what to use to re-cover this cabinet. I see that Ratchford Ltd stock a good range of book covering paper backed cloths. http://ratchford.co.uk/product-categ...ing-materials/

Can anyone recommend a particular type and colour (my Continental has a blue cloth)?

The types that seem to be suitable are: http://ratchford.co.uk/product-categ...d-rayon-cloth/

Also http://ratchford.co.uk/product-categ...r-lined-cloth/

and maybe http://ratchford.co.uk/product-categ...ton-bookcloth/

PVA adhesive seems the best way to stick these coverings.

Any help and suggestions on the suitability of these coverings would be much appreciated.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 4th Jan 2017 at 5:22 pm. Reason: typo
Old 4th Jan 2017, 5:34 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Recovering a Perdio PR73 Continental

Ratchfords are one of the most helpful firms I've ever come across. If you ring and ask, they will send you samples of the ones you are interested in.

PVA will be the best thing possible for fixing the covering.

Barry
Old 4th Jan 2017, 5:58 pm   #3

I have a selection of 'cloth' from Ratchfords, very good stuff. It's not that expensive, buy a few colours and pick your favourite for the radio. Some PVA type glues have a quick grab time, squeeze and hold for a few seconds and it stays there and before it drys out a wipe with a damp rag removes the excess. Model shops do 'Titebond', one of the best.

Old 4th Jan 2017, 11:24 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

Thanks Barry and merlinmaxwell for your replies and endorsement of the book cloths from Ratchfords. I was wondering what the best texture finish would be suitable. Is there a preferred choice out of the possibilities in my original post? I quite liked the Atlantic book cloth but wondered if that might be too textured so a smoother finish cloth such as the Colorado tissue line rayon cloth may be more appropriate.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 4th Jan 2017 at 11:25 pm. Reason: syntax
Old 5th Jan 2017, 12:10 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

You'll find that as you smooth the book cloth down, some of the graining will be flattened, especially if you press hard.
Old 15th Jan 2017, 5:13 pm   #6
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I have a selection of 'cloth' from Ratchfords, very good stuff. It's not that expensive, buy a few colours and pick your favourite for the radio.
Hi.

I went to order some of their "Atlantic" Book cloth which is £6.88 inc VAT but was astounded by the carriage costs of £13.80. The only other option is to pick it up direct. Surely there must be a more economical way of sending this small quantity of lightweight paper cloth. This must be putting people off ordering and therefore they must be losing business as a result. Very disappointed.

Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 15th Jan 2017 at 5:15 pm. Reason: typo
Old 15th Jan 2017, 5:19 pm   #7

I am sure that my postage was less (I wouldn't pay that much). Have you tried talking to them? It is probably a blanket charge catering for their big order customers.

Old 15th Jan 2017, 5:23 pm   #8

I may have been mistaken as to where I got the cloth, the postal tube (that I have just found, only a bit of light blue left in it) came from Fifi Craft Supplies PE26 2UA

Old 15th Jan 2017, 5:27 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks merlinmaxwell, I'll have a look at Fifi Craft Supplies and report back in due course.

Regards
Symon.
Old 15th Jan 2017, 5:32 pm   #10
Philips210
Nonode

Hi merlinmaxwell.

I am having difficulty finding the Fifi Crafts website. Do you have their URL?

Regards
Symon.
Closed Thread