UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 10:25 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi VC76DA

I read these TV Threads in awe. It's a long time since I've had my hands on a late 1940s chassis and made at a time of materials shortages, they are just so full of hardware....Noting the use on an (IF valve) EF91 as an audio output valve what kind of power did they give? Surely they would not be capable of much more than 500mW?
Old 11th Oct 2017, 4:48 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I know, it's amazing. You would not know by the quality and quantity of audio available from that incredible little valve, the EF91.

There were a number of manufacturers that used it as an audio output valve including I believe KB. EMI also employed the EF80 in a couple of models.

I would guess around 750mw was available with an HT line around 220v, more than enough for the average living room.

A quite amazing valve manufactured in it's best form by Mullard as the EF91 and Mazda in the form of the 6F12 who I believe actually designed it around 1946. Regards, John.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 4:54 pm   #23
Halfabee
Triode

Hi Edward,

It was indeed a strange quirk (one of many) of E.M.I. AC/DC televisions to use an RF pentode as the audio output valve, an EF91 in the 1807 series and an EF80 in subsequent chassis.
I guess households were quieter in the early '50s, the TV not having to compete against a plethora of other noise generating electrical appliances!

Cheers
Eric.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 4:57 pm   #24
Halfabee
Triode

Apologies... John beat me to it!