UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2009, 11:19 pm   #1
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Philips BG413A = Philips 413A?

Really quick question here.

Have just come across a Philips BG413A, and of course my first port of call was Paul's site to get service data for it - however the BG413A isn't listed there - there IS a 413A listed, which looks vaguely similar based on the thumbnail.

Is this the same set?

Next question of course is, being a Philips - are there any "unique" traps which I'm likely to fall into with this one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bg413a.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	26121  
Old 9th Jun 2009, 2:07 pm   #2
Mach One
Heptode

Default Re: Philips BG413A = Philips 413A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post

Have just come across a Philips BG413A, and of course my first port of call was Paul's site to get service data for it - however the BG413A isn't listed there - there IS a 413A listed, which looks vaguely similar based on the thumbnail.
Is there any chance of a picture of the chassis (inside the back)? It looks very much like a set which I once had which was based on the 341A (see my avatar).

Last edited by Dave Moll; 9th Jun 2009 at 10:04 pm. Reason: quote fixed
Old 9th Jun 2009, 2:37 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

It looks like a 413a to me

Be careful with the cabinet, if you don't already know, the wood grain effect is painted on over Bakelite. I can't remember for certain but I think it may be water soluble! It's certainly irreparable once damaged

David
Old 9th Jun 2009, 6:10 pm   #4
Zelandeth
Heptode

Will snap a photo of it later this evening - I'm currently (moved a couple of weeks ago...) trying to get the wardrobe into some sort of order to unearth the workbench - which lives in there!

Thanks for the heads up on the finish! I'd worked out that it was rather an odd one, and on this occasion is virtually flawless, but wasn't entirely sure how it had been applied. It will be treated with extreme suspicion from this point forward!
Old 10th Jun 2009, 8:15 am   #5
Mach One
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post

Here is a picture that I have got of what was claimed to be a 413A/15. Despite the rather strange-looking paint job, it looks like the same set.

On other pictures, looking at the inside of the set, it has similarities to the 341A series of chassis (originally a 310A) but seems to have a different mains transformer / rectifier arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips 413A 15 a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	26245  
Old 10th Jun 2009, 11:07 pm   #6
Zelandeth
Heptode

Better late than never!

Finally managed to unearth the workbench and the set. Then spent half an hour looking for a screwdriver!

Photos attached of the model plate and the chassis of the set.

Definitely looks to be the same thing - Wonder why there seem to be versions both with and without the BG prefix...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6290.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	26277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6294.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	26278  
Old 11th Jun 2009, 6:47 am   #7
Mach One
Heptode

Thanks for that.

It is definitely not exactly the same as the 310A chassis variation, but it has definite similarities. At £1.99 for a download, a service manual for the 413A will not be too expensive to have got wrong, as it were. I am sure that you can download it and have a look at what you have got and compare. It does look the same.

I do not know why there are two different numbering systems apparently in operation at the same time, but BG simply means "table top receiver for the UK market" in Philips speak, so it does not add anything to the designation as it were.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 11th Jun 2009 at 7:03 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Old 11th Jun 2009, 1:14 pm   #8
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
www.radiomuseum.org has pictures of a BE413A made by Philips Espana (Spain). It seems to have the same chassis although without the magic eye. The circuit for the 413A without a prefix is probably made to to cover versions from different countries.
Yours, Richard
Old 13th Jun 2009, 9:46 am   #9
Mach One
Heptode

To satisfy my own curiosity, I have downloaded the circuit diagram of the 413A and the 411A (which is similar to the more common 310A / 341A) and they are quite different beasts.

The 413A has a superb Long Wave coverage extending from 150kHz right up to around 425kHz and uses its own LW oscillator coil to achieve this. Most sets use the MW oscillator coil with a capacitor across it to bring the frequency down.

It also has a typical for the time complicated switched sound shaping circuit which allows the user to change the tone as it were of the loudspeaker. It looks a very nice set...
Closed Thread