UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2012, 11:20 pm   #1
echelon
Tetrode

Default Hawaiian guitar project: 1970s "Everyday Electronics"?

Does anyone have any memory of there having been quite a detailed scratch-build project in one of the colourful classic monthly magazines to scratch-build a proper Hawaiian guitar?

I have a feeling this might have been in a mid-1970s "Everyday Electronics", which if I have my orientation correct seemed to take itself a lot less seriously than "Practical Electronics", and to be much-more of a 'BC108 analogue' audio sort of publication, than PE's rather-earnest proto-digital 'SN7400/logical' style.

It's just that I was discussing the whole idea of trying to build (or perhaps adapt an existing electric) guitar, and was trying to explain the 'horizontally polarised' operation of the Hawaiian variety of that fine musical instrument to my son, who became almost hooked on the idea (perhaps I should have worked in sales rather than the service department...!)

Anyway- any slight nods of recognition??

Hmm....I also think that there might have been another Hawaiian project (guitar again, not pizza, keep up!!) lurking inside one of these small amazingly-undetailed Babini projects books, remember the ones that had a couple of almost Dali-esque sketch plans, and a tiny circuit extract? Was it a regurgitated version of 'Electronics Australia'?? Anyway, I blame Rolf...especially for the Stylophone.

Last edited by echelon; 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:21 pm. Reason: adverbal repairs in a built-up area after lighting-up time
Old 24th Feb 2012, 12:09 am   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Hawaiian guitar project: 1970s "Everyday Electronics"?

There was one in PW from November 69 to January 70. I only have the first 2 articles which cover the majority of the console construction. I can scan the two parts I have if you want them.

Keith
Old 24th Feb 2012, 9:31 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

I recall a design for a 'pedal steel guitar' in PW or PE in the late 60's or early 70's. It featured on the front cover.
It's probably the same one that Keith remembers.
Old 24th Feb 2012, 10:41 am   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

Yes it was on the front cover of the November issue. The author, I think, was F.C.Judd.

Keith
Old 24th Feb 2012, 12:33 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...who has his own tribute site here: http://www.fcjudd.co.uk/
Old 24th Feb 2012, 2:10 pm   #6

There was one mid '70's in some mag, I built one.

Old 24th Feb 2012, 4:32 pm   #7
echelon
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV
There was one in PW from November 69 to January 70. I only have the first 2 articles which cover the majority of the console construction.
I suspect that must be an earlier (perhaps contributory?) project, as it's definitely a bit too early for it to have been the one I originally started. So I shall pass on your kind offer, if I may for the moment, regarding the scanning of the two parts.

I'm tempted to suspect, however, that the one I'm thinking of is this one, recognised by merlinmaxwell....from my early-teen timeframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell
There was one mid '70's in some mag, I built one.
(...as opposed to the earlier Judd pedal steel one recalled by KeithsTV and Andrew2.)

Merlinmaxwell, can you remember if your build in the 70s included the winding of the pickups themselves, using magnets from door-catches and plastic sewing-machine bobbins of ECW? Any chance of a firmer reference?

Nickthedentist, many thanks for that link to the Judd tribute site. I have of course read some the man's excellent work over the years (a bit of a latter-day Camm, in some ways I felt)

Old 24th Feb 2012, 5:28 pm   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

There was definitely a Hawaiian guitar in Everyday Electronics.

I should have the article somewhere - is there a demand for a scan if so?
Old 24th Feb 2012, 5:50 pm   #9
echelon
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
There was definitely a Hawaiian guitar in Everyday Electronics.
I thought I'd found a second-hand copy of the magazine on Ebay...close, but not close enough..see below for my near-miss

Quote:
I should have the article somewhere - is there a demand for a scan if so?
Would you please have a dig for it, if possible? I would be much obliged!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$%28KGrHqYOKm8E6IOJqMbiBPQ-N4tG%28!~~60_12.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	63082  

Last edited by echelon; 24th Feb 2012 at 5:52 pm. Reason: link pruning
Old 24th Feb 2012, 7:22 pm   #10

I remember using block board for the body (Granddad was a carpenter) and a chunk of focus magnet (from a VT4) wound with loads of wire (from the same VT4) for the pickup(s). I also remember tuning it an octave too high and breaking all the strings on the first attempt.

Old 26th Feb 2012, 9:14 pm   #11
kalee20
Dekatron

Here it is - Nov 1975 (I was 14 then).

The pdf files are the scanned article - it had to be split up to fit the filesize limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE Nov 75.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	63203  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hawaiian1.pdf (1.17 MB, 397 views)
File Type: pdf Hawaiian2.pdf (822.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: pdf Hawaiian3.pdf (1.43 MB, 309 views)
File Type: pdf Hawaiian4.pdf (634.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 27th Feb 2012, 4:43 pm   #12
echelon
Tetrode

Quote:
Here it is - Nov 1975 (I was 14 then).
That is exactly the design and edition I was remembering- many thanks!

Clearly that extra year's-worth of mileage you've got in advance of me gave you a chance to save all your copies of EE!! Mine must have been serially binned by my parents once I moved out.

Just seeing these few scanned pages from the original magazine instantly confirms to me that my lasting impression of EE's slightly (for the time) free-style/irreverent manner, especially when compared within what I considered back then to be the 'continuum of seriousness' was about right, when it came to electronics magazines. I had entirely forgotten about the 'piggybank project cost' symbol, at the end of the Parts Lists!!

For magazines, I felt that the populist end was of course EE and also the oddly-rare Electronics Today International. This then seemed to increase in scale-of-seriousness with Popular Wireless, and then there was a perceptable change of gear when you opened up the pages of 'Practical Electronics'...which I suppose shared much of it's quotient-of-seriousness with the short-lived 'Radio and Electronics World'. Then at the pinnacle of sober sensibility was the *original* thick-spined Wireless World. And then you also had the indefinably both serious-and-silly Dutch/Scandanavian 'Elektor'....I must have bought mountains of these magazines back in the 70s and 80s.

But thanks again, Kalee20, for having scanned it for me (and for anyone else that might give it a go). The transformer would probably now have to be a scavenged item from a binned instrument- or perhaps just a low-to-high impedance matching one would do. It was very kind of you!

Last edited by echelon; 27th Feb 2012 at 4:55 pm.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 1:03 pm   #13

The very one I made, thanks kalee20 for the scan, memories...

Closed Thread