UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 4th Feb 2024, 5:00 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Hacker Back / glue?

I have this 1980s hacker, "no foam" in this set. I would like to clean the rexine? and glue the rear grill onto the panel as the pegs have sheered off. Who has made an excellent job of one? How did you do it?

I had always thought it would be an easy job but weighing it all up, it looks like there are so many possible snags awaiting.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3458.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	292235  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 4th Feb 2024 at 5:12 pm.
60 oldjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2024, 10:28 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Back / glue?

Is this post any help?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=11

Alan
ajgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2024, 12:11 am   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Back / glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
YES it is, thank you Alan, just what I needed. I had not thought of using Soda crystals to clean. I did not want my cleaning to leave a residue that would weaken the glue bond. I have never used super glue on radios usually the 2 part epoxy or impact adessives, and it would be all over in this case. I am lucky that the fine cloth is in place stuck to the plastic grill and there are 2 pins left on the grill to help with locating the grill. I have some of the slightly thicker Super Glue, I may try that once I have cleaned it and let it the black cloth dry.

John.