View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2017, 9:28 am   #89
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye VT2 EHT problems

We had a great day Matt! Thanks for bringing it over together with the GEC 2147.

I will work my way through the GEC. I woke up at 3am with a cluster of 2147's floating in the bedroom..

The VT2 does work quite well as can be seen by your pics. The trick with taking pictures is to reduce the contrast setting to below that of normal room viewing so that the picture is slightly washed out. Keep the brightness setting as low as possible consistent with a slightly lower than normal display.
The camera will then autoset the exposure more correctly. It helps to have a lamp [60w] aimed at the wall behind the receiver. A little experimentation will perfect the procedure.

The decoupling capacitors in the screened IF unit look exactly like 3000 ohm resistors and are easily overlooked causing a bad IF response.

Tuning the tripler was an easy one and has given remarkably good results. With the faulty overwind previously removed by yourself together with the 90m/a at 6.3v required for the original EY51 EHT rectifier, the remaining section of the LOPT with it's reduced strain should be OK.

Regards, John.