View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2017, 6:05 pm   #85
telstar
Octode

Default Re: What is your earliest memory of radio, TV's etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Some of the rail footage was shot on the (former) Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith line: a short tunnel and one of Bouch's bow bridges.
Hi. Many thanks for the information. Early radio and television played a massive part in my childhood in the late 1950's/early 1960's (thanks to my late father repairing such equipment) plus a great aunt that took me to see the railways before Beeching & Marples ruined them in the name of "progress". It was like some kind of therapy to help me overcome what could be described as "difficult times"(so I was once informed) that is why I can remember that era very clearly. Many people do not understand how I can recall such fine details either, but that is how it was.
The Six-Five also featured Chas MacDevitt & Nancy Whiskey performing "Freight Train"; Johnny Duncan & The Blue Grass Boys performing "Last Train to San Fernando" amongst other memorable records.
Some more programmes like D.I.Y ones by Barry Bucknell; cooking by Philip Harbern (think that I have spelled that right?).
I learned that the "Watch with Mother" series was once under threat of being axed because the BBC at that time did not really understand why children had to have their own television series, so they were eventually reprieved because of people campaigning to keep them.
It also took a while to find out about the arrow s.f.x on the opening of "The Adventures of Robin Hood". Joe Meek created those effects before he went in to music productions. Both this and the following I.T.C (Lord Grade) productions were very useful in creating future careers for many actors.
We mainly had Granada television then on I.T.V, but there were other channels that had programmes on that slot - T.W.W news programmes with Huw Thomas that had a distinctive theme tune that nobody has any details on. Anglia and Tyne Tees also had other series on that channel.
If I remember other rare programmes from that era, I will add them to the list.
Cheers
Mike