View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2008, 1:51 pm   #7
Mr. Bacchus
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HAC SW Single Valve

Quote:
The one valver kits I recall used open chassis and front panel construction rather than mahogany box.
Yes, in the course of my research I have found plenty of pics showing the '3-sided' box along with a Paxolin tag strip!

Clearly there are TWO valves! I am so thick! The one on the left is a Marconi HL2 which appears to be coated in graphite? The other has no identifying marks but has a 5 pin base with the pins making an arrow shape.

Louis/Maurice.

My mistake, I e-mailed Maurice Woodhead. Not Louis. The quick pic of the leaflet was really just that. I would be happy to send a decent scan to anybody who might find it interesting.

There are a number of coils (visible in the lid) which fit into a base to the left. I am assuming these are to change the receiving frequency along the SW band.

Let's imagine for a moment that I am considering 'lighting the boiler'! From what I remember from my youth, our family radio had a 50vdc dry cell Ever Ready so I'm guessing (probably wrongly) that this is about right to 'light' the tubes but I will start safely off at a sociable 24v and ramp it up. The aerial terminal is on the right hand side and I'm guessing (again) that my ground is off the -ve side of the PSU.

If you see reports of a mushroom cloud near Edinburgh then you'll know what it is!

Thanks for the replies.