View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2009, 8:26 pm   #18
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC121 mk2 problems

The RC1214D has a different method of selecting the record size to the RC121Mk2. On the former, the size selector arm comes in to the edge of the record, and then goes back to it's original position over the pick-up arm, whereas on the 121Mk2, it comes in to the edge of the record, and stays there, and the record being pushed off the spindle then moves it outwards about quarter of an inch. This is the final stopping place for the arm. Then when the overarm is lifted and swung to the right, it contacts an upright clear plastic piece fiitted to the size selector arm, and takes the sizing arm back to its original position. The RC121/4 will only select three sizes, 7", 10", and 12", whereas the 121Mk2 will do 7", 8", 9", 10" and 12" I can't work out why Garrard introduced this facility, as 8" and 9" records had been long obsolete by the time the RC121Mk2 was introduced. I don't remember any adjustment for size selection on the 121/4D, although I seem to remember a hole in front of the pick-up arm/overarm housing, through which, when you moved the pick-up inwards, a screw could be seen. Maybe that's it.

Barry