View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 1:19 am   #1
dinker11
Tetrode

Default Rescuing and repairing turntable mats.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but after seeing a few posts where people have had trouble finding replacement rubber turntable mats, I found myself in the same situation.

I have a favourite mat that I like to use due to the cut out at the 7 inch area as it makes playing singles far easier.

It came from an Sharp Optinica deck from many years back which has long gone but in recent years I have tended to use DJ style decks for general record playing.

These type of decks always come with some kind of felt slip mat which I never use as I want to keep the playing speed as constant as possible and slippage free.

On to my idea and discovery.

I found in a local pound store a product sold as gripper mat.

It comes in a roll that is a metre long and in various colours.
It's similar to a rubberised hessian cloth.

I took my turntable mat that had started to disintegrate at a couple of points, flipped it over, lightly sprayed it with some contact adhesive, and then stuck the gripper mat to the back.

After a few minutes, I trimmed the excess gripper off and the mat is now solid again.

I'm also going to take a couple of the many unused felt mats that I have and do the same to those as I may be able to get some use from them now I've found a way to make them grippy.

Hope that this is helpful to someone else.