View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2017, 1:40 pm   #24
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Re: The perils of homebrewing equipment

I think to _enjoy_ home-brewing you have to either be the sort of person who will sit down and think about, plan and carefully execute something in perfect detail or somebody who turns the soldering iron on first and takes a stoic attitude to burnt fingers, shocks and tickles and ordering two of everything for the inevitable "design fault" or finger trouble.

I'm of the later persuasion usually. However, I've been sending off to China recently to get PCBs made - this requires more forethought as by the time China post, DHL and HMRC have taken their slice a $1 PCB comes out quite expensive. The current one I'm working on is around 9"x12.5" and whilst I am taking my time over the design I fully expect it to be thrown away or at least attacked with a scalpel and soldering iron and it really won't be cheap!

I suppose it is all about expectations, if you're the sort of person who gets upset when the TV or car stops working don't do homebrew. I drive a 35 year old Land Rover and watch a Decca Bradford TV because I prefer tinkering to driving or watch telly!

I recently rebuilt a gearbox over the space of a year and huge expense (my first attempt at anything gear related) of course it didn't work. I was somewhat put out but not discouraged....a couple of weekends, a bad back and I've swapped back the old (perfectly serviceable) box...But, I WILL get the new one working...at some point.

PS: mole42uk was that ignition something you designed or a kit - I've been intending to make something like that for a while now...