UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Old Megger (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43965)

Alan Stepney 10th Aug 2009 8:49 am

Old Megger

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this yesterday.
500 volt Megger, made at Acton Wks, Chiswick, but I cant find any identifying makes, serial numbers etc.

It works, but I would like to get some idea of its age, if anyone here has any ideas.

russell_w_b 10th Aug 2009 9:26 am

Re: Old Megger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Stepney (Post 263940)

'...but I would like to get some idea of its age, if anyone here has any ideas.'

My 'Atkinson' telephony (Vol:1) has a picture of this type of Megger, labelling it as: 'A Typical megger Instrument of Modern Design'. The book was written in 1948. However, 'Newnes' Complete Wireless' (General Editor Edward Molloy) has a photograph of a similar instrument being used (page 126). NCW was published in the 1930s - actual date unknown.

So your 'Megger' might date back to the 1930s.

However... I suspect this type of instrument was manufactured until the 1960s. I remember them being sold in 'Exchange and Mart' at that time.

Alan Stepney 10th Aug 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the information.

My initial guess was just post-war, so that could be correct...or perhaps not!

russell_w_b 10th Aug 2009 3:56 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Have a couple of adverts from 1954. You might glean something from the model numbers provided!

'Scuse the Moire patterning... :(

David Simpson 10th Aug 2009 4:02 pm

Alan, According to my wee handbook, its called "Megger Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2". I've an old one, aluminium bodied, but the stud bolts are well & truely stuck.Therefore havent been able to crack open the casing yet. They were in use throughout the 50's & 60's, until the BM series came on the go.
Regards, David

Alan Stepney 10th Aug 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks for the information.
Although this one appears to have been taken care of, and there is the remains of an old test certificate, it has obviously had lots of use.

Judging by the aluminium casing, with the usual "powdering" and wear on the case, my guess was post-war to mid-50's or so.
Without any numbers visible, it cant be any more than a guess, but the adverts and information give a guide.

It certainly works, which is the main point, and, almost as important, it was cheap!

Leon Crampin 10th Aug 2009 6:41 pm

I have one of these - origin completely unknown.

It's beautifully made and cranks smoothly. I connected my Fluke to it, cranked the handle and was rewarded with 10 M Ohms and 500V - precisely.

Well done, Evershed & Vignoles.

Leon.