UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum

UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php)
-   Where To Get Sets and Parts (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Parts from the Philippines!!! (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131872)

Boater Sam 4th Dec 2016 3:06 am

Parts from the Philippines!!!

This may seem to be a strange post, but.......
In the Philippines there are many CRT sets still being used and repaired. There are Aladdin's cave shops with all sorts of old parts, CRT sockets, transistors, etc. but no valves that I have found yet.
Being stranded out here all winter away from the workbench I get bored. If there is anything you need I am able to wander around and find things. Silly low prices too.
So, let me know and I will have a look on my way round the islands, but my delivery times are longer than China, I get back to the UK in late March!
Sam

threeseven 5th Dec 2016 1:13 am

Re: Parts from the Philippines!!!

I'll take you up on that Sam!
Have a look for this part please, Tungsol part, #DT1705E, it's a Vacuum Fluorescent Display tube, 7 segment type. Five would be great, but at the right price I'd have 10!

Boater Sam 5th Dec 2016 1:39 am

Wilco, may be a long shot. Any chance of a picture so that I can show it? Sometimes the English is a bit difficult when it gets technical even though most people here speak English very well. I know exactly what you mean but conveying it can be a farce! My Tagalog is non existent.
What is a good price?

threeseven 5th Dec 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks Sam. Check out this link for a couple of images.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=131579

A good price would be £2 or £3 each! At that I would have 10. Obviously they would be much more in the UK, if they were available!

Boater Sam 5th Dec 2016 12:42 pm

On the case. There are many good parts shops around, I'll bob in to them as we tour around.

threeseven 5th Dec 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks Sam. Actually, I just though of something else! Typewriter ribbons! Yes, seriously. My mum has a Smith Corona Sterling portable electric typewriter that she still uses, for proper letters! Problem is, it uses a clever cartridge ribbon that is difficult to find now. The reference is is Coronamatic Type II-A in black. You never know, they might be easily available over there!

Boater Sam 6th Dec 2016 2:06 am

Oh, you do set a guy some challenges! I will have a look around, it will give me something to do instead of lying on a beach.
All good fun, thanks.
Sam.

PS Heck, £42 each on Amazon, crazy price. If I fail in my mission, could you rejuvenate old ones with WD40, or I used to be able to buy spray cans of ink for our old Amstrad PCW 256 ribbons?

threeseven 6th Dec 2016 12:47 pm

Wasn't aware of ribbon rejuvenation methods! I'll check into that, thanks Sam. Some new ones would still be good though.

AC/HL 6th Dec 2016 12:59 pm

Some tips here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=104326

Bulletguy 6th Dec 2016 8:56 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeseven (Post 898594)
Thanks Sam. Actually, I just though of something else! Typewriter ribbons! Yes, seriously. My mum has a Smith Corona Sterling portable electric typewriter that she still uses, for proper letters! Problem is, it uses a clever cartridge ribbon that is difficult to find now. The reference is is Coronamatic Type II-A in black. You never know, they might be easily available over there!

Some brand new here....but they are from US and not cheap. Buy your mum a new typewriter for Christmas! ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...ibbon&_sacat=0

Radiocruncher 6th Dec 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Sam. Sounds like you will be busy out there. I've been searching for friends output transistors namely the MRF477 and MRF455 both made originally by Motorola. I'm sure I have seen some marked Philippines. If you come across any reasonably priced them I would be very grateful.

Have a great time

Graham

Boater Sam 8th Dec 2016 7:44 am

Added to the shopping list, Graham.

Any equivalents I could look for?

emeritus 9th Dec 2016 11:54 pm

I used to use endorsing ink (for re-inking ink pads) for renovating the printer ribbons of my Amstrad PCW8256.

Radiocruncher 10th Dec 2016 11:15 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boater Sam (Post 899517)
Any equivalents I could look for?

Thanks Sam

The MRF455 is a rough equivalent for the MRF477. Genuine 2SC1969 is also getting hard to obtain so if you see any of them as well that would be great.

Thanks

Graham

Boater Sam 10th Dec 2016 1:52 pm

Assuming a miracle Graham, how many would you like, and at what price would it be worth it?

mole42uk 10th Dec 2016 6:50 pm

Hi Sam, in case you find yourself with time to spare, I would like some colour ribbon cartridges (part number A9G0336) for my old Apple ImageWriter II. Less than a tenner apiece would work!

Bon voyages,

Radiocruncher 10th Dec 2016 11:18 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boater Sam (Post 900170)
Assuming a miracle Graham, how many would you like, and at what price would it be worth it?

Sam

Fingers crossed for the miracle. It would be nice to have a few of them but it will depend on price. I was quoted £20-30 from a uk supplier but he was out of stock. I really don't know what prices are like over there but if you could get a few at around £10 each that would be good.

Thanks

Graham

Boater Sam 12th Dec 2016 5:32 am

Graham, you have a PM.
Sam.

Boater Sam 13th Dec 2016 6:18 am

I found 4 transistors for Graham, went for another 4 to find I had exhausted the stock! So I had the last ones in Puerto Princesa and probably the whole of Palawan.
There will now be a lull in the parts searches, we are on a remote island after tomorrow until after New Year, the search will then recommence in Bacolod, Negros Occidental.
Bacolod is a larger city, many more outlets to check so don't give up hope.......

Sam.

Boater Sam 14th Dec 2016 6:10 am

Richard, Mole42uk, I have done a quick search, are you sure of that number? I find it listed as ImageWriter LQ not II.